Real Carbon Fibre Sheet

Onliest Smeg David

Has anybody used this Richbrook Real Carbon Fibre 3M sticky backed Sheet in their Westie to line the cockpit?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=1984&g=246957&p=20786&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Carbon%20Panels%20&%20Trim&gclid=CLL0sL7Zq7QCFaTKtAodDWAAgQ

If so do you recomend it? :no:  :yes:  :no:  :yes:  :oops:

I was also wondering how easy and how best to apply it.

And how durable it is?

I'm upgrading to JK Seats in the new year and if I'm going to undertake any upgrades to the interior look it'll be best when I remove the original seats.

Cheers.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• User0083

• SootySport

• FILFAN

• Onliest Smeg David

Looked at it myself and spoke to a local window tinting guy about applying it for me. He's done full car wraps and is very good.

Basically from what he said there's a few issues...

Cost.

Size of sheets available (I've searched over a year to find big bits, why my car has black vinyl).

It's not nearly as malleable as vinyl and a good application requires a lot of manipulation and stretching.

Vinyl has tiny holes in it to stop it bubbling once applied.

However! If you can find a supplier able to supply rolls or large sheets I would be interested! I only have genuine carbon fibre on my car so 3D carbon look vinyl, carbon look vinyl or most other substitutes would look shocking.

Stephen

I fancy full carbon panels on mine. Got the scuttle off at the min so gonna give the panel under there a go in the next week or so. Shouldn't cost too much in materials

Filfan,

Where are you getting the sheets big enough?

Another option is carbon mods do a carbon fibre skinning kit.

I have use of a vac pump now so was planning to give it a go myself. I have some carbon in my garage I think will be big enough so just need a sealed sheet of mdf to use as a mould. If it goes ok I would like to do all the panels.

Hope it works out for you...

I'm looking for full carbon doors!

Also getting carbon exhaust then carbon dash next.

OnliestSmeg,

Cheers!!! What you found wasn't quite what I've been looking for, but...

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Products/Flexible-Carbon-Fibre-Sheet.aspx

This has a vinyl style gloss finish, is 100% carbon fibre and 3M adhesive backed! I'll get me a full 1000-1200 sheet and re-do nose band and wheel arches!

What I found is cheap per mtr

Wonder if could be stuck to ally panels after they're removed then laquered and refit

Yes, I think that would work. Although air bubbles would be an issue. Plus, ok not much, extra weight?

The extra the gloss sheet costs will save buying lacquer, applying it... Save time and if it goes wrong, easy to peel off.

That one, the same as the Di-Noc stuff, looks shocking when next to real carbon fibre. Ask for a sample piece and see. It's like a finer/smaller vinyl version of alloy step plate.

It may look good, I may be wrong, but seen a few 3D carbon look vinyls and not one was even close. One sheet of the one I mentioned 1000 x 1200 mm is enough to do both cycle wings and a nose band.

It's cheap enough, I thought I'll give it a try on the rear bulkhead and inside the side panels. Justbuying a real Carbon dash. Easy to rip out If I don't like it.

All yellow cars on this thread I notice, mine as well.

Carbon Fibre and Chrome Yellow just look so good together!

I'm not sure whether to bond rivet or rivnut the ally panels back in after covering.

Which panels are you covering? Could work out uber expensive. I'm drilling out all my rivets and using countersunk ones. Bonding is the best idea, I don't like the idea of screws or rivets showing.