The Economy in your area

Plastics

Everything you see in the news is doom and gloom :cry: , no growth in the economy, we could go back into recession :down: , and we're so deep in debt its going to take three generations to pay it back, if not more.

I am based in a traditionally poor area, South Wales, [even the good times were bad] but have seen quite an upturn this year, although not massive, it has been quite welcome. I am involved in plastic engineering, what industry are you guys in and what are you experiencing in your area, I would welcome your feedback. Hopefully your reports will be positive and I can look forward to a prosperous new year

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Norman Verona

• alexander72

• KugaWestie

• langy

Hi Plastics, I'm in Neath.

(Neath is in south Wales near Swansea for thoes who don't know) :oops:

[Wales is the sticky-out bit of the country, (mostly) south of Liverpool, for thoes who don't know] :laugh: :laugh:

The company I work for has almost doubled in size over the past four years. We supply special metal powders and very special aluminium alloys.Things have never been so busy for us. However the news in Port Talbot is not good. :no:

Cheers

DerekJ

I'm in the Forest Of Dean , Gloucestershire , the area is quite rural and again times for many locals are very hard with many businesses closing .

Luckily most of my work is not local and I supply mail order to the UK and Worldwide , this year I've refocused the business and made some lifechanging decisions which luckily are paying off and business is booming . I appreciate all the support from my customers home and abroad , as with the saying if you always do what you have always done you will always get the same as you always have done .

My business is composites :)

Arborist (tree Surgeon) in Northants, job has it's up's and down's but if i was to go out on a limb i'd say that this year is better than the last 5. We work 6 days a week 14 hours a day and are making a turn with no debt and an order book to 2016.... Ash die back and sudden oak death syndrome have been "productive for us" but we make more money creating habitat for bunny huggers than we do from hardcore tree work these days....

I work in the construction industry for a top 5 UK contractor, and am due to be made redundant on 11th January 2013 after 18.5 years service after a raft of office closures/restructuring :down:

Thanks, tough old world in construction at the moment, worst than the last recession

True - ive worked as a sub-contractor to many construction firms across the Uk and Europe and ive noticed in the UK in the last 5 years that we have been asked/told to "slow down and not work too fast" as it makes the "site lads" look un-productive.... I couldn't believe it at first as all our work is on a price so we work hard and fats to get home early or get to the next job.....that seems to happen a lot on larger projects (no names but major UK projects)

it is not the end of the world for me, as one door closes, I have almost got the next one open, if it all falls into place as I am hoping, I get a nice pickup and walk straight into a new job :t-up:

I work in the training industry and in the UK its on its uppers. The hard skills low quality stuff is ok as its protected by government spend to a degree but soft skills - tough ! no salary increases for anybody since 2009 and likely the same in 2013 . Luckily for me I can work overseas which is what Ive done for 80% of the last 2 years but its tough on family life . And the car which is sadly underused and underloved at the moment

tough time for me at the moment ,leaving the bodyshop and my partner and setting up on my own , thinking positive but we will see ...............................................found a unit which is near perfect for me ,have lots of westfield parts in the pipeline which will be of interest to most hopefully , but struggling with my health at the moment ....watch this space

I'm a self employed kitchens/bathrooms fitter and boy it's tough with company's going to the wall every week, but I am finding a majority of my clients are semi-retired looking to renovate there houses ready to retire, long gone are the days from making money from the supply of materials, I have to keep labour really tight, but I think I am really really lucky as work seems to be steady, and the saying is true " you are only as good as your last job"., but what really gets my goat is the have a go fitters who come along and practically buy the work, I could make a living from just fixing the botched jobs... And breathe !!!

I am an unusual one...

We have a few companies in different industries (printer, sheetmetal/engineering firm/pr/advertising agency,to name but a few)

Mixed bag really and all have faced different challenges over the past few years. Last six months have been fantastic for our bigger companies with record turnover levels and thankfully profits!

Fortunate to be based in Aberdeen which is its only little economy thanks to the oil and gas.

Dave

Banking (retail FS) and not doing too badly even if profits are some way down YoY. There isn't too much else in Swindon though. Unless I want to knock Honda Civcs together.