Winter Job 1 - Differential (Advice Needed)

Young Pretender

I've got my list of things I want done, most of which are way out of my capability but I'm sure that with a few pointers you good folks can help me along the way.

My differential is so incredibly noisy. It whines and groans and the noise just spoils the ride so I would like it sorted. No doubt it will fail eventually so needs doing.

Where i could do with some help is in identifying if I should be reconditioning my current one or buying something new? It's a live axle on a narrow bodied car (2ltr zetec), fairly sure it's old ford but I can't find the part online. Part no. T19 73AG 4025 CA.

Are there alternative diffs/axles available to me or will it depend on the rest of the transmission i.e prop? I don't really want to completely change things and go independent suspension etc mainly because I assume it'll cost £'s. Also I feel the performance the current set up offers is more than adequate for my abilities.

Anyone in the know, your thoughts would be hugely appreciated. help me get my cogs turning :)

Thanks

Mark

Does the axle case look like this? If so it's a Ford English axle

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0486.jpg

Are you definately sure the whine is from the diff and not a rear wheel bearing?

If you're looking for somewhere to do the work, Road and Race transmissions in Sevenoaks have been reccomended many times on here in the past.

Thanks smokey, certainly looks suspiciously similar yes.

I can't be sure it's just the differential, could also be wheel bearing. I have various different combinations of high pitched whine and white noise. It's the whine that's really annoying and it more or less constant changing pitch with speed. It's ok on full throttle because I don't hear it :laugh: . Maybe you're right it could be wheel bearing.

White noise type sound under engine braking is more likely to be the diff I guess or can that whine too?

Thanks for the tip re Road and Race. I would certainly be looking for someone and these guys are close.

Ok so potentially diff is the main concern. Is it the right approach to recondition what I have or simply replace?

Personally i would always recondition. Considering the english diff is now getting on for 40years old they'd be no guarentee that if you buy one second hand it would be any better than the one you already have in the car.

Sound sensible. Going to call Road and Race tomorrow, thanks :yes:

Assuming this axle comes out for some work and is strappaed back in afterwards, is it going to affect my suspension geometry settings? Had it set up at NMS. IIRC James was saying that adjustments were limited on a live axle anyway.

Providing you don't adjust the spring seats which you wont need to do to unbolt the damper from the axle then it shouldn't alter any of the existing settings.

One option is to grab another diff off ebay and swap them over - should cost around £100 - £150. It's actually a very easy job, the diff drops out of the axle after removing a circle of bolts and you just push the "new one" in bolt it up, and reconnect the prop shaft. If you really don't have the inclination to do it then a garage should take no more than 1 hour. Max. In reality it's a 30 minute job.

My replacement diff (£120 I think) makes a "white noise" - like if there was a pool of water in the diff - it kinda makes a "whooshing water" sound - that stays on one tone/frequency but gets louder with speed. Might be road noise from the tyres for all I know.

If you want to know anything about the diffs in English axles seach on my name - I did a rebuild thread on here.

Thanks Dodgey, I've read the first half a dozen posts in your rebuild thread and come to the conclusion that I'm not confident enough in having a go at a rebuild myself. Well done to you though. Removing and replacing the actual diff I'm more than happy to do.

Road and race are very helpful going to try and remove the diff and pop it down there for a look to see what needs doing.

Taking a quick peak on ebay at the diffs available second hand they seem to range from ratios 3.4 to 5.1. How would I know what mine is and what do these ratios actually mean? Sorry, I understand broadly that there's a compromise between acceleration and top speed but what is the optimum (most desired) ratio for a Westy that I use on road and track?

..the diff drops out of the axle after removing a circle of bolts and you just push the "new one" in bolt it up, and reconnect the prop shaft. If you really don't have the inclination to do it then a garage should take no more than 1 hour. Max. In reality it's a 30 minute job.

Some more silly questions please :d . to remove do I just remove the 8 bolts axle end not the ones at the prop end? Or do the prop end first?

If I do undo the prop end should I be making any markings first for ease of re-alignment after or not necessary?

Thanks

Mark

Diff ratio is easy

Jack back of car up

With piece of chalk mark a point on prop shaft and a point on wheels or rim

Turn prop shaft and see ratio of wheel to prop and thats your ratio