Autocar - Full Westfield Review This Week

XTR2Turbo

Full road test of latest sport turbo. gets 3.5 stars

7 page article

Overall balanced and constructive.

That's the most positive review of a Westfield I've ever seen in the mainstream press! Good stuff.

Looks nice - I like it but I cant believe they sell it for that price and still put an untriangulated, unbraced cosmetic roll bar on it thats as useful as a chocolate teapot if you roll it.

westfield-turbo-2_0.jpg

Good to see they are doing some work with the body, and starting to increase the size of the boot, even if it is just to store the hood

Looks nice - I like it but I cant believe they sell it for that price and still put an untriangulated, unbraced cosmetic roll bar on it thats as useful as a chocolate teapot if you roll it.

It does say in the article that braced is an option. Lot's of cars don't have rollbars at all - Morgans for example, any classic. I guess it depends what the owner plans to us it for.

I like the design of the new roof instead of the 'pram' type frame

Agreed - a good review for what it is. I think most of us drive a Westfield 'classic', an altogether different sort of car.

Rory's Dad

I like the article. Sound factual and easy reading. The sport turbo isn't to my personal taste, hence why a purchased a different model in kit form. That said, it does look very good, and for a production car, appears to tick many boxes. Nice to see Westfield diversifying a little in line with the markets desires, but I'm hoping they keep the 'more traditional' models alive too. :)

That's why I was so pleased to see the Mega 2000 car; yes I know that it's an expensive "almost all" new parts kit, but it was good to see a more enthusiast targeted model after the euro and semi euro cars. Hopefully, it will be the sign of more things to come.

It does say in the article that braced is an option. Lot's of cars don't have rollbars at all - Morgans for example, any classic. I guess it depends what the owner plans to us it for.

Very true, I suppose its because I rolled a kit car after fitting decent protection (which is the only reason I am typing now) so am a bit sensitive on that subject.

I would have thought it would be quite unusual to roll a car with such a low centre of gravity? Mrs H's MX5 has little roll hoops, but they are so low they wouldn't be any use except perhaps to a child. That said, I have a full cage on my Westfield, but then that is a track car.

Stephen, it is unusual but not unheard of, on the road, if the car drifted sideways into a ditch for instance the light weight and momentum means the car can get thrown around easily...

Circuit racing is another matter as the wheels can become interlocked just like single seaters and then they can launch a car into the air!

I drove my 7 without a roll bar for about 2 years. The moaning from the chaps on the Le Mans trip about me getting killed got HM worrying so I had to put it back.

I like the article. Sound factual and easy reading. The sport turbo isn't to my personal taste, hence why a purchased a different model in kit form. That said, it does look very good, and for a production car, appears to tick many boxes. Nice to see Westfield diversifying a little in line with the markets desires, but I'm hoping they keep the 'more traditional' models alive too. :)

It does read well doesnt it that.

I also prefer the slightly more 'raw' feel of a naterially aspirated engine and the more primative clothcovered bootbox arangement, but they does look a very much more resolved car, new roof looks good, removable window is a good idea, I would kill for a heater tha works on some days (not that, without a roof, it would work) and presumably as well as generally it does looking nice the new rear sorts the 'parachute' issue with its diffuser.

Daniel

Presumably the heater is a wet unit taking off the engines cooling loop? anyone got any specs?