Westfield What Power Do I Need

forever

You REALLY do need to get a ride or three asap.

My C20XE is pretty much standard but has TBs and a decent exhaust. Max power is just short of 185bhp but the torque is above 150 from around 4200 to 6500 (max 165 @ 5500). It gives me everything I need from a car (especially on 195 tyres) on road or track.

Mind you numbers can mean anything...

Rory's Dad

I have a Westfield with about 185 bhp and also used to own a cerbera, the cerbera was epic in a straight line in the dry BUT it was a big car and corners had to be approached and taken carefully. The Westfield is a much 'rawer' sensation, mine is not far off the 0-60 of the cerbera (maybe even quicker) but the feeling is totally different as there is no windscreen etc and as has been said corners are where it is really at, mind you mine will overtake almost any car if you are in the correct gear easily!

Track days in any seven type car are good, as if say for instance your brother in law is driving your mk Indy and hits the tyre wall smashing the nose cone in (the Pratt!) then it is simply a case of getting another one and bolting it on, would not be the case with a cerbera!

Without sounding flash I also have a Porsche 911 c2 and that is totally different to drive again, I would say it is between the Westfield and the cerbera as it is not as quick but easy to drive. If I had to get rid of one of them it will be the Porsche!!

In summary try one and see, if you are local to Portsmouth/Chichester area you can have a drive of mine if you wish and weather dependant of course!!!

Lee

Mine's 272 bhp, which I find more than sufficient! ;) ;) :laugh: :laugh:

It's actually insane on the public highway, practically unusable. Acceleration similar to a big bike, but unlike a big bike even a little Westie needs some space to tuck in after overtaking. And if you overtake more than one vehicle at a time you are doing a very illegal speed by the time you pull back in again. For a road going Westie, personally, I would say around 225 is an absolute maximum sensible output, at the flywheel. In a bike engined car it would be quite a bit less, because of the lighter weight. Blag a ride in a car with 185 bhp, and see how quick it is. :t-up: :t-up:

Some good comments and sense here, especially the bit about trying a few out as the permutations are varied and wide. One thing for sure one of these with enough power certainly lets you know how unskilled you are at driving quickly and sadly most other road users do there bit to spoil it for you as well. I am quite suprised I haven't yet got a speeding ticket as its great fun and I haven't scratched the surface of using its potential. The amount of power you have is just a number but I understand where you are coming from. I guess the hp figures range from 150 - 250 in general but I wouldn't get too hung up about it. Understand the different engines and what you can expect from them and the various weights and torque figures. The general cost of more horse power once you exceed the norm, rises exponentially until you are paying thousands for just a small increase. Lots of statistics to play with for highest bhp/tonne its a bike engine but they tend to be a bit mental, a lower bhp/tonne figure are the general engines and its a decision on which one and whether you can upgrade if you need to, the V8 I believe is heavier but with more grunt, so may be slower until its moving and the sound is awesome. Lots to consider it depends on your pocket and what you want from the car. One point which most have alluded to is there use in the wet, not waterproof and tend to slide about a fair bit, thats a bit tame more like break away rapidly , subject to the right foot very much so. Yes useable but lethal in the rain without great care.

ps No intention of offending anyone and have deliberately kept away from the I've got xxbhp, if my assumed facts are incorrect please feel free to correct me gently.

I must add bl**dy good fun and 0-60 is mostly quicker than you would expect, as you are busy hanging on a bit.

Last point is it also depends on your own weight as well, for the lightweights its easier, for the more comfortably built it does affect the power to weight ratio somewhat its physics really.

Ta

Bob :d

Been said before but......I've a M3 with 340 bhp and I've got a westfield with 150 but I'm still running it in. Chalk and cheese.

One thing I'm enjoying about the westfield is having fun at 60 / 70 mph, which having had two M3's and fast bikes is a novelty.

Mine was spec'd as a road car with lot of advice from this forum. It was designed to be light for a road car comes in at about 575kg. Big issue for road car is gear ratios as this is IMHO what make a big differece to driving experience so chose with care. Plenty discussion of this in forums. Also good LSD helps. Personally I find the areoscreen better than a windscreen upto at least 70mph

mainly less buffeting . I am a dry weather blatter though I dont mind the cold in winter. I also enjoy the ability to upgrade and mess about with it mechanically which is a big part of the experience.

I had an M3 as well, and while fast it was slow compared to my westy, until 121mph when I ran into the rev limiter in top.....that pegged it back a bit.

You also need to consider the way power is delivered as this has a huge influence on how fast a car feels. Mine is c.230 BHP so an adequate amount of power, but it has a very linear power delivery so does not feel quick. There is no surge at high speed just sustained pulling until the rev limiter gets in the way. Although it does not feel quick it is, the speedo lags behind the true speed and only catches up about 70 MPH so maybe it is quick.

As JohnGill says I also think gearing has a big impact, mine has a long first (50 MPH at the rev limiter) then close stacking so there is no dropping 'off cam' and again this smooths everything out and dulls the sense of speed.

Ive owned blade/busa 1550 busa, , 200bhp red top, 150bhp red top , 170bhp duratec 300bhp duratec 260bhp duratec and my current car which is 210bhp and I would still say a westy around 200bhp is as much power as is needed, more is good for the road for blasting out of junctions the surge of acceleration is something i never tire of and you can never be too fast but big power is not a lot of use on track unless your racing . Im having bags of fun at the mo with my current car @210bhp and it will hold its own against much more powerful machinery due to the handling which really this is what these types of cars are all about not out and out straight line speed :t-up:

I will post a link to my you tube page and if you glance through my other vids and some go back to 2004 you will see the various engines in action , :t-up: :t-up: :t-up:

Jeff, I was just wondering what the vibrating noise is when you lift off the throttle, heard the same on your other vid's.

Jeff, I was just wondering what the vibrating noise is when you lift off the throttle, heard the same on your other vid's.

the ticking is the injectors as I have the mic right beside the air filter and its picking up the noise! I tried moving it for yesterday but its still picking it up

• 1 month later...

Jeff C just watched the you tube video you uploaded, car looks very smooth compared to chap you are following which moves about a little more, very nice indeed