Westfield What Power Do I Need

forever

Christ on a bike, I bet that's a hoot!

Spun the Megablade on the test drive and that's got next to no torque. I'd be going in circles in no time in a Cerbera engined Westies with all the weight up front and my scrawny rump holding the back end down.

• Like 1

Yes it is fun, owned it since 1998 and it has evolved , so I am used to it. A full tank of fuel, sticky tyres and warm weather are all good things to have. To add to that a smooth power delivery and a long gearing with long throttle travel also help somewhat. All things said, if you drive it smoothly its not too bad. I have driven it in the wet and to be honest an HGV would be as fast....

I just think you'll struggle to get that big oomph, torquey V8 feeling from a Westie, it's too small, light and nimble. It's not a replacement for a Cerbera.

It's just as much fun, some would say more fun, but in a very different way. I'd forget all about comparing the two, it's like comparing what is better: A fish or a bicycle?

yup I know exactly what you are saying - I think in more refined vehicles (i.e. anything that is not a "7" :d ) you get more of a sense of acceleration

that is not saying that the acceleration is not at least equal to a quick tin top - but In a seven you are getting all the senses (sounds, g-force, smells, wind etc) all in one rather bit hit :cool:

If you're not gonna track it why not keep what you have got :t-up:

Cerb is gone, needed to release some cash, hence have around 6kish for a westie, pretty sure i can pick up a bargain for that money, seen a few that are not selling, buyers market at the moment as i found with my TVR, but will mean i can get a better car :)..

I have taken a good few of my tin top owning mates out in mine and it'll beat almost anything to 125 and is faster than my mates CBR600F Sport (Not as quick as my other mates Duke 1098 mind :d )

However, it really is the cornering and braking where it just leaps ahead.

I took one of my S2000 owning mates back home the other night. He didn't have a lid, so I kept to 60ish....just that I did 60 everywhere.

His first comment was 'I'd never go round there that fast in the S and you weren't even trying!!!'

Here is my mate in my car at Donny where we were noise limited to 5krpm (so 150bhp tops) and on tyres that never got hot.

Still beating everything easily.

• Like 1

I have taken a good few of my tin top owning mates out in mine and it'll beat almost anything to 125 and is faster than my mates CBR600F Sport (Not as quick as my other mates Duke 1098 mind :d )

However, it really is the cornering and braking where it just leaps ahead.

I took one of my S2000 owning mates back home the other night. He didn't have a lid, so I kept to 60ish....just that I did 60 everywhere.

His first comment was 'I'd never go round there that fast in the S and you weren't even trying!!!'

Here is my mate in my car at Donny where we were noise limited to 5krpm (so 150bhp tops) and on tyres that never got hot.

Still beating everything easily.

you must have chopped some weight out of it ,when colin had it ,it was summat like 580 or 630kg

The engine he is using is in the title of the video!!!!!!!!

Normally aspirated Cosworth!

Not a cheap option but reliable power

If you want big power its big bucks and a sequential gearbox or dog box and suitable LSD

My SBD Duratec had 299bhp and the 2.5litre Millington had 290 bhp. My Neil Brown Duratec was 285bhp and 212ft lbs of torque ( a monster with very high compression ratio). They are all just a little faster than my current Blade car but not by much and on some circuits the blade is quicker cos its lighter, brakes quicker and is more nimble through the bends.

• Like 1

Just bear in mind that car is a narrow body not a wide, and would have been converted from a car engined chassis.

just to add my 2 penneth, I wouldnt get too hung up on 0-60 times most will do around the time you are looking for even low bhp cars as they are light but after having a big V8 I think you will be wayyyy underwhelmed by the likes of an early blade powered car especially if you have it as a road car, they may be quick on a tight circuit and 0-60 but on the road if you are cruising at 60mph and floor it I think you will be disappointed,even dropping a few gears they dont have a lot of go and are positively pedestrian if you have a passenger in, I would personally try and find a car engined westy with something like a redtop fitted and get used to driving a westy as said they are a different experience to most other cars and are more suited to tracks than straight line drags. :t-up:

Guys, thanks for comments, this is all new to me (various different configurations etc), I did like the b road power of the TVR and would like something similar in terms of dropping a cog and over taking etc, the TVR however was always hard work round the twists, I thought the Westfield might give me the best of both ???

you must have chopped some weight out of it ,when colin had it ,it was summat like 580 or 630kg

Yes, my mate not being knowledgeable stuck that title on. Notice he also called it a SEiW and not a SEW!

560kg it is now (Removed windscreen, interior panelling, carpets, windscreen wipers, fluid washer stuffs etc)

I'm an ex TVR owner (V8) and I totally understand why you want a car that does 60 in a certain time or less. It's a benchmark of "outrageousness" :-). I had a Porker 996 before my Westie and I too had minimum requirements regarding acceleration. When I overtake, I want it to be fast and effortless.

I have a Westie with around 120 at the wheels at the moment, which aint a great deal. But it's a totally different game altogether. It really is. It's the weight of the car that is key, in my mind.

If I floor it at 60 or 70, it is a non event. Load of noise, and i'll overtake fine, but it's not V8 torque and grunt. The car is as aerodynamic as a brick. Anything over 70 with no doors or roof is painful on the ears too.

But... I now go hunting for roundabouts and corners. The car is insane on corners. It really is. You can enter a roundabout in any lane, and I can guarantee you will be ahead of everything in a second or two. It is all about the weight. A road legal go kart, with suspension :-)

If you wanted to oversteer more in the TVR but were worried about losing it and tyre costs, now you can just do it. Sitting almost on top of the rear axle really puts you in control.

I have to say, I'm hankering for more power, but the overall experience is not lost on me, not by a long way. It's all about the weight :-)

Put a passenger in and it really dulls the sensation. I drive alone a lot :-p