1.8/2.0 Zetec

Dave the Sparky

I'm not wanting to rake coals of which engines best etc I'm simply looking for experience from people who've opted for a 1.8 zetec, I'm currently considering a few cars subject to sale of mine, my priority is an honest well setup car that's as reliable as possible.

I'm probably not going to do very much if any trackwork for a while so day out blatting is all that's required. I know it's personal choice but from others experience am I likely to be left wanting more if I choose a 1.8 engine instead of a similar 2.0 car because it's nearer, cheaper etc? I believe there's only 15-20bhp in it which doesn't seem alot?

Sorry if this has been done to death...

Dave

The 2.0 will have a bit more torque so less gear swapping required, however, I had a 1.8 (with close ratio box) and it was fine (I competed in hillclimbs, did a few trackdays and drove it around on sunny days) so I don't think for your suggested usage that you'd notice it much - especially after driving around with a sewing machine for an engine ;)

The 2.0 will have a bit more torque so less gear swapping required, however, I had a 1.8 (with close ratio box) and it was fine (I competed in hillclimbs, did a few trackdays and drove it around on sunny days) so I don't think for your suggested usage that you'd notice it much - especially after driving around with a sewing machine for an engine ;)

Haha, those Japanese sewing machines are pretty quick!

Maybe need to blag a ride in a local 1.8 to see for myself....

Dave

Haha, those Japanese sewing machines are pretty quick!

Maybe need to blag a ride in a local 1.8 to see for myself....

I ran a GSXR1100 powered single seater for 5 years, I know how quick they can be :cool:

A ride in a local 1.8 would be a good starting point, get down to a local meet and you might even have a 1.8 and a 2.0 there for comparison ;)

Im also torn in this debate, and haev read some of the other threads on the topic.

I will be coming from 1.9 power engineering cvh if I swap to a zetec and in my mind I was fairly set on the 2l blacktop, but they appears to be a large number of 1800 silvertops for sale as complete packages and Im then sat wondering if this is because they have all seen the light and gone for a 2l (or duratech) or is its because there little in it in terms of drivabilty and its an easlier fit, with a lighter flywheel, less issues with the waterpump, etc etc.

Daniel

...And plenty of reports from those not chasing the nth degree of horse power that the 1.8 Zetec is the sweeter of the two to actually drive.

...And plenty of reports from those not chasing the nth degree of horse power that the 1.8 Zetec is the sweeter of the two to actually drive.

That's what I'm asking really gadgetman, how are they to live with...as u say bhp ain't everything.....

Dave

I can't make comparisons.

BUT

I can say my 1.8 is faultless and always a pleasure to drive.

Civilised or raucous depending on how it's driven.

Engine has 156 bhp on standard build with jenveys.

It has a long first gear, which I have been told is perfect for sprinting/track.

However I would say if it's acceleration from stationary you want think about one with a standard first. I feel the gearing effects the very initial take up from rest.

Mine's a silvertop 1.8 on Weber 40DCOE's so it chucks out only 130bhp (not sure which cams it has!), but it still drives really nicely.

After much deliberation on the same choices i am going to opt for a 1.8 , 130bhp with 40's and weber alpha ecu.arp bolts so i can make the most of the revvy nature

The car the ecu came off was making just over 155bhp in similar spec - if i can get near that ille be happy

I think you should build one Dave, you may keep it then ;)

I think you should build one Dave, you may keep it then ;)

Good idea!, well at least till its on the road :laugh:

Give me a chance, Im only looking for number 2! You''ll get used to me.... ;)

Dave

I have just brought a 1.8 zetec and to be honest I love it ! Seems to be running low on power as it come out at 104 bhp at the Newark show the other week but still supprisingly fast and a pleasure to drive ( in between the rains) of course, booked into hitch Motorsport for a tune/remap and been advised that should be running 140 bhp+ with my setup. I can recommend the 1.8 but have to refer to a post I read somewhere else. ( Quote ) don't get to hung up on the numbers )

Cheers Alwest I won't, I'd buy a scoob if I wanted easy numbers just wanted to hear people's thoughts on living with a 1.8....

Thanks

Dave

1.8 vs 2 litre is a silly argument. No two engines will ever be the same and as such you can not say that there is 10 or 20 or what ever between them. The only time capacity really comes into it is if you are racing and have a max cc and extracting everthing is paramount.

1.8 is said to rev easier as it was originally designed to be a 1.8l the 2l was a longer stroke and different bore i think and as a result different piston acceleration rates etc.

1.8 will come with lighter flywheel and correct water pump rotation etc so is cheaper to install.

Both engines suit a westy well, easily tuned to 180-200 area and cheap to buy and maintain. I would be more concerned about the whole car and not just the engine. And if fixated on an engine, buy a good one regardless of quoted bhp. In short nothing really between them and other areas should direct you choice of car rather than 200cc