How Do You Know When It Is Time To Sell?

Martin Keene

So far I can honestly say no I don't miss it. I had my Westfield for 13 years and race my second Westfield for 6 years. I loved the building developing and driving of the car but to be honest come the end of my ownership I had had enough. Like Mark I still see my mates made from owning the cars but dont feel the need to own one. That may change one day and if it does I will buy another one but for now having more free time and being able to to buy another toy for the garage that I can drive all year round and stay dry when it's peeing down.

Dont get me wrong the Cayman does not give me the same driving experience as driving the Westfield but it does give me a lot of driving pleasure when getting behind the wheel. I fancy a 997 Turbo next when they come down in price and as Ian said above there are loads of good cars to try.

Westfield ownership for road and raced = box ticked. ;):t-up:

I agree with Matt/Mark/Ian. If you are asking the question, then, yes you probably should sell it and move on.

Some days I miss my Westfield, but most of the time, if I'm honest, as a road car it was a pain in the A***.

If you're really not sure, do what I did in the end, if you ask yourself if you should keep three times or more during the "summer" months sell it and move on.

I would n't rule out having another in the future, space and money permitting - but, it would be a trackday car only.

* Done sprints, not really me, I get too competitive, get annoyed I am not fast enough and then stop enjoying myself.

* Trackdays are good, but sadly I can't seem to afford as many as I'd like to do, ~1 a month.

Maybe I need to get out on a few more blats and see what happens. What ever happens I won't change it until next year when the annual bonus arrives.

http://mailman.se7ens.net/mailman/listinfo/tour7 Get out and drive it in the company of others...

I haven't driven mine for two years. I've spent a week re-commissioning it and took it "around the block" to see if all was OK. Broke down with what seems to be ignition failure.

Now I'm not sure I can put up with much more unreliability. It was a very reliable car, it had problems but they were easily fixed and back on the road in a day or two. Now I'm wondering if I care how long this takes to sort out.

I will not sell it as I know I will regret it the moment it drives away, like I did when the Elise drove away.

It will be OK martin, but come out and play, it is ws all the "toy" cars were made for.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've 95% decided it's time for it to go..... It's not a snap decision, I have been thinking about it now for ~3 months and the more I think about it, the more I cannot stop thinking about it's replacement (again decision 95% made).

The biggest potential stumbling block to this plan is whether the replacement fits in the garage... My car is 3300mm long and the replacement is supposed to be 3800mm. During the summer this is fine (that said the replacement is a lot more weather proof so will probably spend more time on the drive anyway) but during the winter, SWMBO's bike goes in the as well, which I reckon takes up ~500mm, that only leaves about 6" spare!

:o

Only way to find out is to find a willing volunteer to try his car in my garage, this will happen on the 7th of July. Assuming it fits, there is some jobs to be done to the car (new front dampers, lick of paint on the boot box or replace with carbon, tax and test) then time to sell. How much for? Christ knows, I reckon starting at £7,995.

Put a pulley system up in the garage roof and suspend the bicycle from the supports in the winter, or mount a bike rack on the rear wall - simples.

Or ditch SWMBO, but that may be a cost-prohibitive option.

Martin, I had a similar problem with bike and car single garage The biggest pain is if I fancied a ride I had to move the car etc. In the end I bought a cheap metal shed from argos for my bike it was lockable so counts as a garage. I checked with insurance and as long as its locked it counts. The only problem is to watch your head when pushing it in. But that way you can use the garage and the bike shed without the car bike tetris game

Mine went last night.

Fed up with :Weather.

:Storage (at parents house)

:After an hour i'm bored!

:More crap weather.

Fancy an Elise or VX220 now. Bit more practical imo.