1.8 Zetec Running Hot

Alwest

Hi all new to this so be gentle, just brought my first Westfield! It's the speed sport model with the previously mentioned 1.8 zetec, my problem is that the water temp is fine whilst driving but when ticking over starts to run hot (100 plus) and is also using water. I come from a motor trade background so am aware of the obvious ( head gasket, cooling fan, stat, cap etc ) just wondered if anyone could throw some light on the subject or let me know if there are any common problems with under cooling from the reduced size radiator ??

Thanks all

sounds like an air lock to me.

have you got a water rail on this engine by any chance???

they were known for running cold,by design (although i do stand corrected)... have a search.

Have you any photos that you could post up, so we can see the setup

cheers

john

Welcome :t-up:

Is the fan coming on? When it does, is it pushing the air the right way?

:down: done that before

They should run hot by design.

However, are you sure the gauge and the actual temps are the same? They are very unreliable and to be honest the temps mentioned do it sound wrong at all and does describe normal opporation. Mine ran at 100 to 110 on the guage, but never was. However it was consistent in that it always did this. If it started to change I would get worried.

The over cooling issues are due to the installation and plumbing of the warm up circuit into the main circuit, essentially missing out the thermostat, easy fix. The alloy golf/ polo rads are fine and not an issue at all.

Water loss may be and probably is a totally different issue. Air lock as mentioned will be a hot favourite, as air is removed the water level drops and you worry. I would also check all the houses for little weeps, they all add up.

My 1.8 zetec stays constant on normal driving, but when stationary for a period or really pushing it while on track goes up around 10 degrees, fan should kick in and keep it steady. Last couple of times i have changed the coolant, i always jack the rear of the car up so header tank is highest part of system, gently pour new coolant in and squeeze and squeeze and squeeze all the tubes to get the air out. i also find jubilee clips tend to pinch the rubber hoseing and sometimes you can get drips from them when really hot, i just check mine on a regular basis and never had any problems.......touching wood....!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all thanks for help and sorry for delay in reply, seem to have tracked problem down, replaced pressure cap and is not losing half as much water, I believe it was pressurising and forcing excess water out of a tiny leak on the thermostat housing ( spotted by a man at the Newark show on Saturday thankfully) only topping up weekly now so will have to deal with leak first, will post some pics when get chance but thanks for help, great to receive so much response. Thanks again