'liam' Rides Again..

carbon-nv

After what feels like forever being off the road, with a whole summer lost, I've finally got the car rolling once more.

The Cambs Area boys will recognise it as Liam's old car and I can tell, from various old threads that he had aquired quite a legendary status for his 'spirited' driving and, I'm sure many other noteworthy stories to boot.

The first pic below is as it was before, with the trusty Pinto boat anchor onboard...

The other two are as now. I know that the burgundy colour is, perhaps, a little unloved in most circles and certainly not one of the top choices for most people, but I like it and hopefully the little bits of carbon and touches of paint I've added sit a bit more sympathetically with it's bordeaux shades now!

A Duratec's now fitted, gearbox rebuilt and new bushes at the rear. In truth, I think the few trackdays I managed before setting out on my epic voyage of discovery, scuffed knuckles and permanently grubby hands, were starting to tell on the old engine, as it had lost a few horses since it's heyday in Liam's hands. There were, however, many moments when I'd seriously regretted what I'd started along the way.

The usual thanks to Troy and his able team for setting up the engine, although it took two visits to get it sorted, the first being fouled by a combination of dodgy timing, terminal incontinence of a pressure cap and a small fire when the excess exhaust sealant I'd missed when re-assembling decided to combust on the first run (the root cause being excess heat caused by the timing being out initially). My excuse being that I was still putting the engine back in at 10pm the previous night, without decent light, after being unhappy with the clutch and deciding to swap to a different release arm arrangement (a story in itself)

Due to the overall costs of the swap being somewhat larger than first bargained for (you find out the hard way!), I decided to retain the Webers.

Sacreligous, I know, but apart from having to accept less than perfect running at low revs (despite Troy's best efforts), it goes really well when pushing on. On another forum, someone likened the concept on this engine to having a leprichaun under the bonnet feeding fuel to the engine from a bucket, which makes me smile (as it's probably true in part!).

I'm too chuffed to have it back to worry for this year, though.

So, it's gained a few horses (came in at 174.4) and shed a few pounds and, like everyone, I'm just praying for a little spell of half-decent weather now in order to start getting aquantied with the joy of ownership again!

.DSC_0087_exposure.jpg

car3.jpg

car2.jpg

Car looks superb and I like the colour.

I have a similarly sized exhaust box on mine and ended up adding a second mount at the front of the box as it was putting too much strain on the front pipe. Worth keeping an eye on it just in case.

Cheers, Matt

ps - mine has a cat in it though, so may be a lot heavier

Thanks for the comments guys

The pinto went onto the 'bay and was bought for a decent price by a guy with a Tiger who happened tyo live just down the road. I must admit that I do kind of miss the sound it made.

The silencer appears reasonably light, for it's size, but it does keep db's down to 'safe' levels. I do plan to make the exhaust a little less restrictive at some point (as I wasn't really on the ball with ensuring it flowed well when getting a new section made to suit) but I'll keep an eye on that just in case. Thanks

Nice to see it again, it has a bigger shine than when i last saw it. :d

And i know what you mean about missing the sound of the pinto as i now have a duraburp in mine.

I did get a chance to drive my old car at stoneleigh which i really enjoyed mind.

And your always welcome to join the cambridge chaps any time

Enjoy your new car

Tony

Burgundy ones always look better in the flesh than in photos and your car looks nice in the photos... ;)

Burgundy ones always look better in the flesh than in photos and your car looks nice in the photos... ;)

Actually, that's true, burgundy ones do look better in the flesh. I quite like that. Only thing I'd consider changing would be going to clear indicator and side repeater lenses - the amber colour slightly detracts from the nice burgundy colour and would be more in keeping with the nice headlights. But that's very extreme nitpicking and what the devil do I know anyway? :laugh: A very nice car all in all. :t-up::) Here's hoping for a dry bright season for you!

Nice job, looks good. Is that a Paul Gooderham exhaust? If it is what's your view of the strength of the end plates/Pipe joints as I am considering a purchase.

John

I believe that the builder (Liam) had the silencer made up by a small company over Norwich way, but it certainly seems well put together. I had the exhaust pipe made at this place in Market Harborough http://www.station-motorsport.co.uk/. Jonathan there seems really good at his welding and you can't see any joins, but in hindsight I should have specified something that flowed a bit better rather than just a four into one (although at my power level it probably doesn't matter too greatly).

Thanks for the offer Tony. I've still got some contact with the Peterborough area, so I wouldn't mind joing you guys sometime on one of your runs out sometime over the summer.

The silencer was made and fitted by Concept Engineering & Fabrication in Wymondham, Norfolk (I have exactly the same one)

Your welcome Mark, just keep an eye on the events section.

Also as i'm in the bedford area and your only about 20 mins away if you want i should be able to get a couple of us together for a little blat out one evening or weekend.

Tony

the peterburg ring boys are wanting to do some evening blats once this dam weather stops us playing keep a eye out :)

Night blatting is cool, we should do that again, but with no neons.

Nice to see the car again.