Brake Disks And Pads - What Are They And Can I Change Them?

Rory's Dad

The Ferodo DS and Mintex 144 pads do have "Not for road use" printed on the packaging. This is because they are not deemed as road pads as the braking performance is not at it's best when cold. Some boy racers have been caught out with them on their modded cars after accidents.

just given them a call about the discs.... seems there is a few disc sizes on offer..... I tried to measure my discs as well as I could (bearing in mind the caliper was in the way) hoping that a rough guesstimate would suffice, and came out with 245-250mm.... unfortunately it seems theres a few sizes on offer: defo a 244 and a 247.6 mm on offer there... being cortina mk2 and 3.... thickness of disc I measured at approx 13mm... do westfields not usually base their front brakes on the same cortina model? can anyone shed some light as to what model mine should be based on? or are they all different?

mine was an 1800zetec based westy. on the rear I know Im running golf calipers, guessing would be either mk3 or mk4, but again not 100% sure..

might give good old jak a pm and ask :p

• Like 1

The Ferodo DS and Mintex 144 pads do have "Not for road use" printed on the packaging. This is because they are not deemed as road pads as the braking performance is not at it's best when cold. Some boy racers have been caught out with them on their modded cars after accidents.

I could perhaps understand this with harder pad compounds but there is nothing wrong with the performance of the 1144 from cold, IMHO. They pull up better than the standard motor factor pads I had before by quite a margin.

I wonder if there is a real issue with them not meeting the required standards (cold performance, fade, durability, etc.) or if it's just a case that they don't sell enough to put them through the approval process?

Could I ask on the subject of discs and I apologise for hijacking the thread. My rear discs are Westfield supplied grooved discs (as are fronts), there is in engineering terms a huge amount of free play between the studs and the holes i.e. the holes are significantly bigger than the studs something like .9mm. I realise of course the wheels will clamp the discs in place but my question is , is this normal it certainly is not on the production cars I have experience of ?

It will be impossible to set up the handbrake and properly bleed the brakes seating the pads without fitting the wheel nuts to use as a clamp, just seems 'tatty' engineering to me !

Any advice appreciated

Paul.

Mine are the same. IIRC there may be a hole for a grub screw in the disc. If there is a corresponding hole in the hub, then problem solved. If not, a pile of washers could be pressed in to service if you want to clamp the disc properly to set the brakes up. Open ended wheel nuts are worth their weight in gold ;)