1St Westfield Purchase Advice (1St Of This Type Of Car Too)

Dodgey

The V8s are generally setup more for comfort that track performance (I know. I know...there are lots of exceptions to the rule!!) but I would say that generally this is true. They have so much power and torque they are perfect to load up with heavy carpets, leather seats etc. and still have a blast in. I think my Seight was 750kg+ when weighed on a weigh bridge, and that's a significant amount more than the other models. There's not many other cars you can easily pull away from the lights in 5th with, and I don't think any Seight owner has ever used 1st gear for anything :d

Having said that, a V8 Westfield is *not* at all like a TVR. They leak a lot more (you will get wet even will full wet weather gear/hood etc), there is a *lot* more road and wind noise, your feet will get hot, the driving position is a lot more cramped, the trim is a definately more "amateur" even with a leather setup like I have, and they feel more "go kart" like for sure (in a good way!). They tend to cost a bit more than 8.5k too unless you are very lucky with timing.

If you go down the bike-engined route then they require a lot more "trashing" to get the best out of them and love to be revved, and you tend to find they are generally lower on trim levels as they ditch any un-needed weight to maximize performance. You won't find a bike-engined car with padded leather seats and trim. They are perfect for track days or generally blasting around in, but maybe not so great for a trip to France (people do do this though, so don't let that me put you off, but if you'd think twice about doing it in a TVR for example then doing it in a westy isn't for you)

It sounds like perhaps you might want something inbetween, a nice spec VX or something like that. You get some of the additional comfort levels, but still with low(ish) weight and good all round performance.

You really should get up to Stoneleigh and have a good poke around, you will not regret it !

In summary...If I knew what I know now and got to pick my Westy again ? I'd still pick the V8...but I'd possibly get a 2nd one with a bike engine for track days :t-up:

Edited by SEiGHT

Welcome, I sort of fell into Westie ownership for similar reasons, I wanted cheapish adreneline rushing motoring fun, after a 348 bhp M3 the 120-130bhp of a Megablade sounded a bit tame but a 20 min passenger ride in one changed my opinion! I intended to wait untill Stoneleigh myself for a good nose but when mine popped up for a second time on Pistonheads and was quite local I new it was for me!

I however wanted an hour on a Sunday blasts with the odd trackday thrown in, no intention of touring so the little Megablade does me but I didnt try much else to be fair so cannot offer much alternative advice.

As far as reliability goes, mines 11 years young and pulls like a train to 11k, it makes every passenger swear :) and every onlooker smile, parts are cheap and the cars can be picked up for decent money.

As has been said, with an aero screen I find with the doors on or even better with a door and half tonneou cover on (plus hat/goggles) even in wind or rain its quite cosy and very comfy, it is quite small inside but Im only 5' 6" so for me its fine. They do need revving and the gears/clutch need practice but every trip out brings me the excitement and rush I used to get from bikes with a bit more comfort and grip.

Id follow the sound advise and get to Stoneleigh then some meets, get some wind in ya hair :d

Whatever you decide on will Im sure it make you happy :yes:

Dave

Sub 4 seconds to 60 is only partly due to bhp, so don't get hung up on bhp. Transmission, tyres, the final drive and diff are all massive factors and will make 130 bhp as acceleration as 200bhp if correct. This is why 150 bhp blade cars are different from 150 bhp zetec cars. Also claimed bhp is just that, claimed so don't believe the hype.

Also getting to 60 quickly also meets stopping quickly, so decent tyres, brakes, suspension, harnesses etc are all vital. You need to purchase the complete package. In fact I would be very suspicious of any car with a truck load of cash spent on the engine and nought elsewhere, if nothing else it will not be well suited or coherent.

Wide is wider but also longer...few inches in each case.

If you are serious about continental trips, then the biggest factor I would be looking at is reliability. For this I would be looking to the quality and fit/finish, the quality of the components used and the attention to details. Little things like rubber paint on insides of arches, extra protection on wires that may rub or are exposed to dirt, sealed inner arches and tub gaps to stop **** ingress. Each may be small, but these all paint a picture of a well build car and that should translate into reliability and if reliable you can use it. It could have 300 bhp and be a 3 second car, but if fragile and broken it might as well be a door stop for all the good.

Hi and welcome to (almost) Westy ownership,

I'm a life long biker and Westy owner of 2 1/2 years. My 1st Westy was a Narrow body with a Honda Blackbird engine, solid axle and an LSD. It was the crasiest 4 wheeler I've owned.

I still have a bike, but now have a C20XE Vauxhall engined Wide Body making just under 200 BHP. There really is little difference in performance, it just feels different. But this one is a car you can drive for longer times / distances, the previous owner holidayed in Europe several times with it.

I may be having to sell it soon due to changes in work & home circumstances, if you'd like to know more let me know.