Fw Style Rear Diffuser

gregboy

any ideas ?

Looks like my playskool one

Aero dynamically it's benefits are debatable, but keeping the inside boot area dust and dirt not free but one hell of a lot cleaner it's great

As advised here I left a gap 1" to allow any heat to escape at the rear top of defuser

I used the aerodynamics fitting kit on mine

D4E86D83-74A1-458A-BB8E-998412D47177_zps

Hi Andy (Pickmaster)

I have been thinking of fitting a Playskool or Aerodynamix one on my car and like yours its a Narrow SE.

I was worried about how low the axle/diff is on full droop and though it may hit the defuser. How do you get on with yours?

Sorry to the OP for the slight tread drift.

Thanks

Ian

Aerodynamics diffusers only fit the wide unless you take the car in and have one fabricated

Playskool fits narrow or wide

Your right on full drop it will touch the diff even with the rear 1" gap to allow airflow from the tunnel out

I cut about a 6" round hole to accommodate the diff and allow me to jack the car up without defuser removel (it's only two bonnet catches and a U channel on the front, so removed in seconds) but I can jack it up now to change wheels if I like

Hi , 

Andy is quite right , ours are designed for the wide . We do plan to make one for the Narrow but we have a bit of a list of projects we are working on at the moment so certainly won't be straight away , although I do have a few people who want one , again as per the wide one we will make it with wishbone drop sections . As regards a live axle the Fabricated ones we have made have always cleared the rear diff on droop (just!)(although a hole would be advantageous as Andy says for jacking) , on these I have previously extended the rear of the floor pan to provide the mounting point and used the straps either side of the fuel tank to mount the quick release pins to and so didn't need to use our rear stays . 

Hope this helps in some way . 

Cheers Julian

Edited to add as thread title is FW rear diffuser , we don't make one for this yet. 

Thanks Andy, Julian.

Gives me something to think about and is good to know.

Probably should get the engine back in before I start worrying about defusers ;)

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

As this was the Factory's S2000 Demo car, mine was put on at the factory, the fixings are visible here. Will check inside tomorrow for additional fixings / brackets inside....

IMG_8697_zpsrfgqblw0.jpg

I have done similar to factory but moved fixings into the recessed area so they are less visible, also painted black, with black marker pen  ;) Ive used five M5 x 30 lg countersunk socket screws with countersunk washers. The length needs to be minimum 30mm as there are gaps at some bolt locations where the profile of the diffuser is slightly different to the profile of the bodywork you fix to. Also use lock nuts.

The fit is pretty good but you do see the cut edge of the diffuser, you could feather down to be flush but it would be an fiddly job to get a good result I think, so I went for the rubber edge trim and bonded it on the inside so it hopefully will not come off in time.

I did think of glassing on some big heads but didn't trust myself to make it ''fly off'' proof  :d

1_zpsjqxf7slu.jpg

2_zpsjpiqqj9b.jpg