Cutting Side Panels?

Bananaman

the thicker (the really thin ones just shatter) cutting disks for the dremels do a good job for smaller holes if you dont fancy using an angle grinder

Is there no end to the uses for an angry grinder? :d

I was reminded how important safety goggles are when using an angle grinder last week. The disc shattered in my face had to pull out bits of disc from my face and chest area both which came up in a rash.

Gloves as well are a good idea, angry grinders do like to bite you every so often.

Hadn't been using the disc on aluminium had you Adam?

Use a router, nice raded corners, less chance of stress cracking on overshot grinder cuts and a much cleaner finish

You can actually get thin cutting disks for use on aluminium, I used them recently to modify a bellhousing. Also good for cutting sections of alloy angle etc. I get these disks and most similar kit from Toolstation.com, brilliant prices, free delivery and great service.

You can cut 1.5mm ally with tinsnips, but quite hard going if you're making long cuts and you will also get a bit of distortion. Hacksaw ok for short cuts. A proper metal guillotine is ideal, but a bit expensive for most people who won't get much use out of it. A thin cutting/slitting disk does the job and avoids too much effort or distortion. You do need the proper ones though, normal ones for ferrous metals will clog and potentially shatter as pointed out previously.

The Toolstation multi-purpose disk see: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/Cutting+Discs/d80/sd1750 product no 95605, is only £1.64 for a 115mmx1mm disk.

Use a router, nice raded corners, less chance of stress cracking on overshot grinder cuts and a much cleaner finish

Totally car unrelated. Was a 5mm ish cutting disc cutting through steel. Modifying my mother's swinging seat thing in the garden. as I cut the person holding the other end dropped it and my end hit the disc at 90degrees. I had gloves, mask and googles on thankfully.

I did my boot box with a jigsaw with a fine HSS blade in it, worked fine.