lloydox

Finally Started My S2000 Build

Bob, this is what I'd planned on "borrowing from" design wise, if I'd gone ahead with it on the XE:

(apologies the pic is so poor!)

IMG_2811.JPG

Its a Caterham part, for the Duratec/R500 model.

Above each oval opening you can just see the 3 mounting holes for a rubber flap, The rubber flaps are literally just a rectangular piece of thin rubber with three rubber fixing "pins" moulded in. The pins are a push fit in the cowl, mounted on the outside.

The rubber is thin enough that positive air pressure inside the cowl simply pushes the flaps open, so air flows through, relatively unobstructed. However, when the fan cuts in, it pulls the flaps shut and draws air through the rad instead. Best of both worlds then!

(Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting using the Caterham part, it's the wrong shape! Just perhaps adding a hole in each corner of the shroud, plus a rubber flap. However, Phil's cowl doesn't actual mask all that much off, so may well get away without anything extra).

I have a flat plate very similar to that as supplied by Westfield it does stand the fan off the core but my belief is that slippage or reflux may occur and the cooling efficiency reduced. It does work ok though but as above think it could be improved. It looks very similar to the plate as above and instead of ducting the air through the radiator the air can take the easier route and come in from the lightening holes.

If struggling for extra cooling I would do a similar mod but I'm not, but it has made me think of the 81'c thermostat I have in. Hmmmmmm

Bob ;) 

I'm guessing from the photo that the caterham radiator is a lot wider than the Westfield one ?

I think you'd only be able to put one flap in each corner on my rad not four down each side

As I said I'll keep you posted on how it gets on when Its on the road

• Like 1

Yep, much wider/lower. My plan, like you say was for one each corner. But in the end, I just din't find it necessary. Mind you I had previously fitted the biggest most powerful fan that would physically fit the rad!

Now I like that, clever use of rubber to create one way valves allowing air to flow one way when driving and prevent the slippage when the fan is on. I can't try  that on mine as the plate doesn't cover the full radiator but like the idea.

Bob :d 

Well all loaded up and ready for the IVA in the morning  ??? 

IMG_8753%201024x683_zpsckzoxb0l.jpg

IMG_8752%201024x683_zpsi4ogwjdd.jpg

IMG_8751%201024x683_zpshmhmnxgi.jpg

Checked and checked again so not much more i can do 

You sure that trailer's big enough :d

Good luck :)

• Like 1