"read The f***** Manual", And The Warning Label!

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

Came across a link to this in another forum and thought it might help as a timely reminder that although we joke about elf and safety, warning labels on stuff are still there for a reason!

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

• Like 1

and steve's top tip is , do NOT mix bleaches to clean the p1ss staines out of your shower , it can cause noxious smoke that sends you dizzy and makes you feel sick , i have found domestos is the best bleach ! thats domestos ! feel free to send me some free sample's mr demestos :)

Jeebus Dave, that's a scary story! Reminds me slightly of the guy who found his Cilit Bang wasn't working as well as he wanted it to for cleaning his marble fireplace hearth, so he mixed it with Domestos and a cup of petrol. The fumes made him pass out, and were heavier than air and filled the floor of the house until they reached the kitchen, where the floor mounted boiler ignited it, blowing all the windows out of the house. He survived, but his house needed more than Cilit Bang to clean it up.

I blame the government!

Seriously though, do you not think that we're now so overexposed to warnings etc that we pay scant regard to them with the result that the really needed warnings get lost in the 'noise'

I belive in other countries they've experimented with removing signs, barriers etc from roads so the driver has to think for themselves AND not be so distracted looking at them. The result has been less accidents. Fancy that.

Doug

Seriously though, do you not think that we're now so overexposed to warnings etc that we pay scant regard to them with the result that the really needed warnings get lost in the noise.

I suspect there's some truth in that...

Phosgene was used by the Germans in WW1 as a nerve gas. It can be produced by pouring chlorine on a hot surface.

john.

Jeebus Dave, that's a scary story!  Reminds me slightly of the guy who found his Cilit Bang wasn't working as well as he wanted it to for cleaning his marble fireplace hearth, so he mixed it with Domestos and a cup of petrol.  The fumes made him pass out, and were heavier than air and filled the floor of the house until they reached the kitchen, where the floor mounted boiler ignited it, blowing all the windows out of the house.  He survived, but his house needed more than Cilit Bang to clean it up.

Jesus, I shouldn't laugh, but I couldn't help it.

Taking Steves comment to the next level(up that is) you would be suprised by the number of normal household chemicals which are very very dangerous. Phosgene gas was as mentioned used in WW1 to kill and maim hundreds probably thousands. The old carbon tetrachloride fire extinguishers used on buses did the same thing if used in a confined space deadly. So be careful out there we all never read the instructions or safety stuff till its too late.

Bob

As mentioned we have so many warnings on everything that a cursory glance is about all it gets (if that sometimes). Think I'll be treating the brake and clutch cleaner with a bit more respect, time to read the label.

Jeebus Dave, that's a scary story! Reminds me slightly of the guy who found his Cilit Bang wasn't working as well as he wanted it to

Now I totally read that wrong...... remove the first "i"

In the mid 60's, some of my training related to ammonia leaks in re****iation equipment. and we were issued with the most upto date protection equipment available,

this was a commersial size tin of Castrol grease ( LM I think ).

The instructions were to cover open flesh areas around the neck ( the face was protected by the rubber BA mask ), under arm areas where you are sweaty then lather your privates in this grease.

All the above were easy tasks, the only problem to me was afterwards when the cleanup began if you were on a promise that night you would have to remove all traces of this grease or have a good explination.

john.

In the mid 60's, some of my training related to ammonia leaks in re****iation equipment. and we were issued with the most upto date protection equipment available,

this was a commersial size tin of Castrol grease ( LM I think ).

The instructions were to cover open flesh areas around the neck ( the face was protected by the rubber BA mask ), under arm areas where you are sweaty then lather your privates in this grease.

All the above were easy tasks, the only problem to me was afterwards when the cleanup began if you were on a promise that night you would have to remove all traces of this grease or have a good explination.

john.

Uggghhhh messy, bet you walked funny too. :p

The apprentices used to be greased up in their rite of passage ritual. Now classed as horesplay punishable by instant removal. Has the Castrol grease got an MSDS sheet now and its probably an irritant etc etc. Its like road tankers containing chemicals with a special code designation. I recall one accident years ago when a tanker was leaking and people were walking around in yep acid. Are we so dense in this country that we need sheets that people don't read and names that are meaningless when so many people are beng injured by what are dangerous chemicals in the home and at work. At least at work we know mostly what we are dealing with unless we start using branded names when we again use MSDS sheets. Plain simple English is whats needed.

Bit of a rant that wasn't it. And breathe.

Bob :cry: :cry:

touch and die