1800 Zetec Engine Questions

Terzo204

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what grade oil should I use for the above engine.

The car will be used for road and track.

Thanks,

Mike

First of all welcome to WSCC.

Personally I use what ever grade of comma oil is recommended for the engine and just change it twice a year.

Opie Oils always seam to recommend using the a full synthetic oil for track use.

Others will be along shortly.

Just to add, only use Comma as its cheap, available locally to me and I believe a blended in Britain.

Edited by Pistol

mine has always been run on millers full synth... 10w 40... if memory serves...

depends what your going to rev it to.... for road use standard is fine though...

Hello to all and thanks for the welcome.

The car will be used principally on track. Considering this, will a 10w 40 be better than a 10w 30?

5w 30 is what I use and Ford recommend for the 1800 Zetec. I do several track days a years and around 2000miles on the same oil with no problems... :)

Mike,

there are three series of Zetec Engines; Two 'silvertop' and one blacktop.

This description covers the rocker cover colour - the early engines had silver rocker covers and the last had a black rocker cover.

The first phase of the Zetec engine had DOHC 16V cast into the rocker cover and the second phase just had Zetec cast into it.

The original oil spec for the zetec was a 5/40 grade but the early engines had hydraulic lifter problems and Ford changed the reccomended grade to 5/30 to solve this problem.

If you are just using your car on the road use 5w/30 - if used for track go for 5/40.

(Not sure if an 1800 was made in the blacktop)

HTH

Thanks kindly for the responses.

I'll be using the car on 5 track days this year so 5/40 it is!

The engine has a black rocker cover with 'Zetec 16v' stamped onto it. 2003 I'm told.

Ran mine on 5/30, track and road and was never any drama. Mate had "rattles" at the top in his so ran 5/40 to cure it. No help what so ever to you i know, other than reasurance that either will work. New and correct filter would be more of a concern. Need a UNF thread from the old Renault 4 i think to fit in on the Zetec, but so long as you have the 1.8L pump as it might get a tad tighter with the 2L pump (narrow cars deffinately). The newer renault 5's swapped to a metric thread and while it fits on, it will fall off to get the UNF one.

Serch on here and litterly 20 or 30 part numbers will come up from motorcraft, Wixs, Coopers, Mann, Mahl or however it is spelt......etc etc etc.

I was of the understanding that the negine was from a Focus. Will a standard ford filter suffice?

It will suffice if it's in a focus. If it's in a westfield, then the ford filter is too long, causing it to clash with the steering column - you'll see when you take a look at it. If it's nowhere near your steering column, then someone has already installed a remote oil filter, in which case a focus one probably will suffice. The suggested alternatives are much shorter than the ford oil filter, but have the correct dimensions.

And it bears repeating, make absolutely sure you have one with a UNF thread - I have first hand experience of fitting a filter I thought was correct only for it to come off 500 meters up the road as I was undertaking a traffic light grand prix :down::angry:

Ben

Thanks again, great advice.

I obviously missed the point initially. Sorry markcoopers

I had a similar question for my 2ltr black top zetec so to clarify you can use either 5w/ 30 or 40

Does it matter on the brand?

I'm at Costco and I can either get 20L of Chevron supreme motor oil 5w/30 for £42

Or,

8L of Castrol Magnatec 5w/30 for £43

Is there a general concensus on brands?