A Newbies View Of The Wscc!

Lordbenny

Ok, before this thread gets locked I have one more (hopefully relevant!) point that noone's mentioned yet. And before you all flame me to death, I am a fully paid up member, but due to my own technological failings didn't register it on the old forum and now can't afford to top up my membership to 12 months (I know it's only £12.50, but I really am that poor atm :cry: )

Anyway! When I first found the forum, the wealth of knowledge in all the threads from years gone by answered nearly every question I had about Westies. I spent days and days reading through old threads, learning about the cars, the different engines and whole hosts of mods and improvements you guys have been making. I found it absolutely fascinating and It certainly influenced me in my eventual Westie purchase. But none of this is possible on the new forum because non-registered members can't use the search function!!!

Recently I've found it really debilitating not being able to find old threads (especially since all the old links are broken) and think that this really will put off new members from joining. If prospective Westie buyers can't do a bit of research on the internet's best Westfield resource, then it's going to put them off joining the club and may well put them off buying a Westfield altogether. And I know that the forum is only a small part of the club (and hopefully I'll be able to join you guys one some of the blats and events this year!) but arguably it's one of the most public fronts of the club and making it as accessible as possible to prospective members can only be beneficial. :t-up:

• Like 2

Look on the positive side if non members pay up they will be able to use the search function immediately without having to wait 28 days

I've been a paid up member for just under a year after acquiring my first Westfield last April and it is the best money I have ever spent.

For me, (and I appreciate everyone is different), it has proven invaluable in terms of the technical assistance and encouragement I have received and has probably saved me 10 to 20 times the membership fee in what I would have paid a garage to undertake work, which I would have previously shied away from. (I'm an absolute numty when it comes to mechanics)

But getting my hands dirty and sorting things out for myself, no matter how small and insignificant, has led to an enormous amount of satsfaction, allowed me to understand the workings of my car better, increased my confidence, given me a new and healthy interest, ;) and has contributed to an absolutely brilliant ownership experience so far.

I've never met or spoken directly to any of those who have given me advice but regardless, I do feel a real sense of community and one where so many are willing to give up their time to offer excellent advice and indeed direct assistance, whenever it's asked for. I try and read most threads, not only in an attempt to improve my knowledge and learn (or to sometimes help others based on my own limited experience) but I also enjoy the banter and sense of humour and often have a wry smile and chuckle when the usual suspects get going (You know who you are! :d).

I suppose it depends what you are looking for. I'm also a member of the R32oc, Scoobynet and the MLR (Mitsubishi Lancer Register) and I also regularly visit VX220.org as I'm keeping an eye out for a modified Turbo or Supercharged and each is a great source of knowledge and information with it's own unique membership profile. The WSCC is certainly different but for me, it's an incredibly important part of my day-to-day ownership experience and it's the best forum I've been a member of bar none.

Steve

• Like 2

Mr Lord benny,

Rather than say what you don't like, what do you want and what are you prepared to do about it?

I really don't think you have stirred up anyone or thing, mearly revealed that you like different. 5years ago this site was, and I suspect in 5 years it will be different again, but the members make the club, not 10 or so mods. As terry says, the site is one aspect of a much bigger club that from top of my head organises;

Stoneleigh and other club shows

Local shows and events

Track days

Technical advice

Parts and upgrades

Insurance discounts

Deals with club sponsors

Used car sales

Potential car purchase advice

Merchandise

A huge number of volunteers to fix your car when you need it

Technical articles

Your public liability Insurance

AND THE BEST CLUB MAG IN THE WORLD.

you missed off pi$$ taking mark..

You would never get through or get a reply if westfield took over the forum ;-)

Clubs great with great characters in it I have made some good friends through it.

My wife hates the car says it means more to me than her but even she enjoys the club meetings.

Doesn't help I point out the car is easier to understand and cheaper to run!

Only joking westfield I have always had good service once I actually speak to someone

Ok, before this thread gets locked I have one more (hopefully relevant!) point that noone's mentioned yet. And before you all flame me to death, I am a fully paid up member, but due to my own technological failings didn't register it on the old forum and now can't afford to top up my membership to 12 months (I know it's only £12.50, but I really am that poor atm :cry: )

Anyway! When I first found the forum, the wealth of knowledge in all the threads from years gone by answered nearly every question I had about Westies. I spent days and days reading through old threads, learning about the cars, the different engines and whole hosts of mods and improvements you guys have been making. I found it absolutely fascinating and It certainly influenced me in my eventual Westie purchase. But none of this is possible on the new forum because non-registered members can't use the search function!!!

Recently I've found it really debilitating not being able to find old threads (especially since all the old links are broken) and think that this really will put off new members from joining. If prospective Westie buyers can't do a bit of research on the internet's best Westfield resource, then it's going to put them off joining the club and may well put them off buying a Westfield altogether. And I know that the forum is only a small part of the club (and hopefully I'll be able to join you guys one some of the blats and events this year!) but arguably it's one of the most public fronts of the club and making it as accessible as possible to prospective members can only be beneficial. :t-up:

I've not renewed since the forum migrated, mostly because the Westie is currently well down the priority list. It is well worth it my opinion but I do the see the point about new members not being able to use key parts of the forum may discourage them from ever joining.

On that basis, how about giving new members 30 days full access to the forum, they'd have to pay to receive the club benefits from 31 days.

Now that IMO is a very constructive suggestion "Bean" give prospective members a taste of what is available within the club. then take it away once they are convinced. Pending payment for full membership.

Not sure if the software the club is using would be able to log their IP address and exclude them from multiple initial registrations though.

Good call.

:)

Just joined a forum that limits you to half a dozen pages unless you join up. That's on V 3.8.7 of vBulletin

My 2p ;)

I have never agreed with non members not being able to answer in the for sale section. A lot of engine / transmission parts sold are sought after by other car owners, who have absolutely no interest in kit cars. It's basically restricting the number of potential buyers. Would you pay to join say, the Allegro owners club to buy a steering column?

I can't imagine withholding the search facility will make non members put hands in pocket either. Apparently they can use Google, so what's the point. (In the real world, if someone asks you something about your Westfield, you don't tell him / her to f**k off join the club and do a search! Why should it be different on here?)

And, the number of threads recently rudely telling potential club members to "pay up or shut up" in my opinion, will have only one outcome. Potential club member goes elsewhere!

• Like 4

I have never agreed with non members not being able to answer in the for sale section. A lot of engine / transmission parts sold are sought after by other car owners, who have absolutely no interest in kit cars. It's basically restricting the number of potential buyers. Would you pay to join say, the Allegro owners club to buy a steering column?

The Locost Owners forum gives a 2 day window to members to see the for sale ads first before opening them up to non-members.

My 2p ;)

I can't imagine withholding the search facility will make non members put hands in pocket either. Apparently they can use Google, so what's the point. (In the real world, if someone asks you something about your Westfield, you don't tell him / her to f**k off join the club and do a search! Why should it be different on here?)

And, the number of threads recently rudely telling potential club members to "pay up or shut up" in my opinion, will have only one outcome. Potential club member goes elsewhere!

Thankyou that was exactly what I tried to convey in the other thread in the Newbies section and clearly failed :bangshead:

• Like 1

let's face it, most agree the club is well worth the small membership outlay ... I certainly do .... but could not agree more with your point regarding the attitude of certain members, and as a general wider view I believe this is part of the reason why faces have dissapeared (although I admit finances and time in the current economic circumstances have a part to play)

seems to be considered these days to be ok to be hostile as long as you are sticking up for the club - surely in our best interestest to be pleasent and welcoming to all potential new members ???

In my opinion, for what it is worth, the forums should have been re-launched with the same basic features as previous - certainly would have saved all this tittle tattle :)

Would be good to see more activity from impartial commitee members on the boardrooms