A Newbies View Of The Wscc!

Lordbenny

Pistonheads is a fully commercial venture :) so I'm sure the WSCC volunteer Committee and team appreciate the comparison :)

I don't like fondue :westy:

Which email did you use out of interest?

Give me a pm if you want, I am sure I can listen if you are prepared too as well?

I'd love to PM you :cry: but I'm not allowed!

My e-mails were basically asking if I the powers that be could give me my original membership number, from 5+ years ago when I had my first Westy.

Hi Lord Benny.

I use VX220.org purely for info related to my needs as you know.

I do not see much difference between there and here to be honest.

The VX220.org seems to be a bit more boy racerish and immature that the WSCC but I think that's purely down to the demographic of the ownership and there is no disrespect implied or intended with that comment.

On the VX220.org there are some very knowledgeable people who have helped me out on on a few things and the atmosthere is friendly and informative, I enjoy using the site though I do not post much ATM.

I personally do not think that VX220.org offers any more than the WSCC in terms of the website but the WSCC roots go way deeper than just the WSCC website.

It seems to me that the VX220.org IS the focus if the VX220 club and the WSCC website is one of the focuses for the WSCC.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

If you choose to make your local area the focus for WSCC activitities and you get that as a bonus out of your Westfield ownership and choose not to become a fully paid up member it's totally up to you if that's what you want.

I think the WSCC has many facets, you pick the ones you like and feel comfortable with and leave the ones you do not, nobody should judge you for that.

Chaz.

I am a member of several car clubs for the different marques that I own and without a doubt the WSCC represents the best value and has the most effort put in by the volunteers that run it.

As others have said the club is about much more than this forum - even though alot of time and effort has been invested by Adrian, Tigger and others to upgrade the functionality.

If you go to the National Kit Car show at Stoneleigh in May it is almost embarrasing to see the grand WSCC stands and marquee compared to other clubs. I think someone counted 150 cars on the club stand at one point on the Saturday.

The regional monthly meets are normally well attended and many organise their own events and days out. I have met and made friends through my local meet and it has got me into the more competitive side. See the cambridge area posts for a car handling day and a wales trip, Warwick are hiring Curborough etc

The speed series is one of the best supported club events with around 75 - 100 entries each year.

There is the trackday and sprint school each year.

The printed magazine and all t he special sponsor deals.

Having said that I think that the forum is less active than it was - perhaps because many have moved on from Westfields and fewer new cars seem to be being built at present. A sign of the times and perhaps a decline in the Kit car industry in the Uk and perhaps even a relative decline of Westfield vs other manufacturers.

As others have said - the more you will put in, the more you will get out.

Organise a weekend trip and I am sure you will get plenty of people join in or a trip to a place of interest.

Pistonheads is a fully commercial venture :) so I'm sure the WSCC volunteer Committee and team appreciate the comparison :)

I don't like fondue :westy:

For me PH is a site that has lost its appeal. Actually I seldom go on PH now. It started as a largely TVR owners site when Ted started it. Now owned by Haymarket it has a huge membership but seems full of keyboard warriers, agressive and childish posting and silly egos.

My e-mails were basically asking if I the powers that be could give me my original membership number, from 5+ years ago when I had my first Westy.

Everyone in here got a new membership number when they joined the new boardroom and lost their old one. Keeping the old ones would have made the changeover and future record keeping very difficult indeed, I'm sure. What on earth is so important about your old number? Was it 666 or some unique one like that? It's just a number.

. What on earth is so important about your old number?

I wondered if I could revisit my old posts and subjects that I was talking about back then, that' all.

I always use forums to research my next car of choice, I remember being a daily poster to a Subaru forum for months back in 2002, then I had a long spell without a car while I started my business, I then used 3 BMW forums regularly as part of my ownership of my 5 and recent 3 series, all we're usefull, all had members who annoyed or informed, most had quite a lot of young for want of a better word 'daft' posters who would annoy the life out of you. I did make some genuine forum friends though which was good.

This forum doesn't have the young lively buzz to it that some others do, it is quite slow sometimes and I feel like i post too much sometimes but that's not the mods fault surely?

It has a more mature, enthusiastic sincere feel to me, yes you still take stick and there's plenty of banter but I personally don't miss the endless I've just done 183mph on the m25 or I've just raced a masserati blah blah posts that then end up in a 4 day argument between boy racers and genuine car lovers...

I joined the club once I got my car because I wanted to feel part of 'the car club' whatever that is, because i like what the cars seem to be about, once it warms up I intend to attend meets and definitely go to track days/ blats out, I didn't think I was ever paying to join the forum, I see it as a good way of learning and getting help, I hope to make real friends at the meets and then the forum will b a nice way to stay in touch and arrange stuff...

Btw, what magazine?

Dave

A quick search of your username gives results back to November last year

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=and&sid=dbc23b8efebbe5f2de9c6738bdbb3280&search_author=Lordbenny&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_content=both&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_app_filters[forums][forums][]=63&search_app_filters[forums][forums][1]=73&search_app_filters[forums][forums][2]=66&search_app_filters[forums][forums][3]=67&search_app_filters[forums][forums][4]=65&search_app_filters[forums][forums][5]=68&search_app_filters[forums][forums][6]=78&search_app_filters[forums][forums][7]=79&search_app_filters[forums][forums][8]=71&search_app_filters[forums][forums][9]=70&search_app_filters[forums][forums][10]=72&search_app_filters[forums][forums][11]=69&search_app_filters[forums][forums][12]=75&search_app_filters[forums][noPreview]=1&search_app_filters[forums][pCount]=&search_app_filters[forums][pViews]=&search_app_filters[forums][sortDir]=0&search_term=&search_app=forums&st=0

What was your previous username, or was it the same? (inc spelling)

I'd love to PM you :cry: but I'm not allowed!

pay your membership then ,join the club :yes:

This sounds awfully like the complaints over on another and much smaller car club/forum that I used to frequent. "I want it all, I want it now and I want it for free. Why should I pay subs to be a member of this club, what's in it for me, and oh, by the way, could one of you paid up members please help me out with my latest problem."

The subs are barely the price of a tank of fuel for goodness sake. It does wind me up when folk b***h about trivial membership fees having just shelled out thousands on a 4 wheel toy.

Just my view, no offence intended......

And yes, I'm toward the top of your demographic prediction age range, have had the Westfield for 21 years, been a member of assorted other car clubs over the years too and this refrain is oh so familiar.

• Like 2

"I want it all, I want it now and I want it for free.

Nope I'm happy to pay to be a club member, I just think a free forum is a good idea.

Maybe Westfield should take over the running of the forum and leave the other stuff to the members of the club? If I were them I would jump at the opportunity to run it. The advantages for them would be huge and would give them direct access to their owners and potential owners, they could directly link to their online shop, technical department and sales dept amongst other things. It would also give the existing administrators the chance to concentrate on other things that dont take up so much time.

Edited by Lordbenny

Westfield can officially post in this forum, but have shown an impressive lack of interest in doing so.

I'm a member of a few "manufacturer" run forums, I hate the concept TBH, the last one disappeared offline for the best part of a year while the paid company moderators went through redacting all negative references to a couple of big technical issues. Everyone suffered, I and many others don't really go on there much anymore, what's the point, say something critical, even constructively so, and your post may not survive the night.

The WSCC is fiercely Independant, that's why you will find threads about cracked chassis and problems people have occasionally had getting through on the phone.

The last posts I can see by Westfield in the sponsors section were by Julian Turner in November last year about the EV cup, and before that July of 2010!

That really would be a quiet forum...

• Like 1

Nope I'm happy to pay to be a club member, I just think a free forum is a good idea.

Maybe Westfield should take over the running of the forum and leave the other stuff to the members of the club? If I were them I would jump at the opportunity to run it. The advantages for them would be huge and would give them direct access to their owners and potential owners, they could directly link to their online shop, technical department and sales dept amongst other things. It would also give the existing administrators the chance to concentrate on other things that dont take up so much time.

The independence of the WSCC from Westfield itself is very important. If they owned and ran it, do you really think total free speech would be allowed? Do you think they would not charge to do a search? Nothing stops them from setting up their own factory forum if they want to - the fact that they haven't done so says it all.

As for the administrators and the amount of time needed to take care of the boards, the new boards seem to be working very well, membership is running smoothly now as well, and if you want to pay someone to run the boards to ensure instant response, membership costs would double - at least.

I've said it before and I will say it until my voice wears out - the value of the massive database of posts in here has a real and tangible value that the club is fully entitled to charge for as they administer and hold it. If non-members want a question answered, they need only ask it and many, many people in here are happy to help answer it. - for free. You pay for Internet access, you pay taxes to maintain and use your local library, and this is no different.

• Like 1