A Newbies View Of The Wscc!

Lordbenny

Well, I say 'newbie' I was a member 5 years ago when I bought my first Westy/Westie (Is it with a 'y' or 'ie'?) Anyway, I am returning to the fold with a gorgeous 2.0 Zetec powered car that I absolutely love, although I haven't really driven it in anger as I'm immersed in 'upgrade-i-itis' over the winter.

I though I'd post something about the website just to let you know what this 'newbie' thinks about it.....bear with me!

I've come from the Vauxhall VX220 owners club website, http://www.vx220.org.uk/ (my previous car) which is a similar format to this one, however, it has a few differences. The first being that it is far more active, the members feel like they're in a club, they post ALOT more and it feels friendly and that your really part of a club. The site is free and whoever signs up is considered to be a 'member'. I'd admit that the members are a bit more internet savy than the Westy site, I think most VX220 owners are 25-35 as opposed to Westfield owners being 35-55 (This is a complete guess but an educated guess based on the experiences I have had).There is little activity on this site, I can go for days without seeing a new thread that takes my interest, I want build diaries, interesting mods, events etc etc but I constantly get let down looking for something that really floats my boat.

It's almost as if, whoever runs this site has just decided to let nature take its course and are not interested in interacting with its members, and this from a site that charges for its use!

I haven't yet paid my membership purely because I dont think the site warrants the money that is being charged. I have contacted the guys at my local Westfield owners club and thay have been, helpful, informative & most importantly) fun! It's funny that a car that is supposed to be fun has an owners club website that seems to be anything but!

You (mods and administrators) have an incredible resource at your fingertips, a database filled to bursting with like minded, enthusiastic people with intelligent input, experience in droves and the power to put all other websites to shame. I feel it is not being utilised and I as a potential new member really wonder why I should join.

I have contacted the e-mail address on the site 3 times but have had no response to my questions so at the moment I have decided to just save my day to day internet dealings with the site of my local owners club. I have already made friends there and have become a regular contributor to their site.

I'd love to join the WSCC but as a 'newbie' really can't see the point, all you regulars please feel free to shoot me down in flames but this is just how I feel. This site feels stale & unwelcoming and that the people that run it are living in the comfort that they happen to be in charge of a site that has a massive following which just isnt good enough. In this day and age a website forum is VERY important, its the first port of call for new members, its where potential new owners come to see what makes the marque tick and its where current owners share their experiences, ideas and make friends that can last a lifetime. I'm not feeling any of these things!

If I've offended anyone by this post I'm sorry but, hopefully, I stirred a few people into realising that something needs to be done to make this 'club' something that 'newbies' like me actually want to join.

• Like 1

I love this website and find it invaluable

I am a returning member to the wscc but also experienced a 10 week delay between paying my membership and getting any response at all despite me chasing quite a few times

I understand it is a voluntary role and do appreciate the mods time and once in its great

Might I suggest you immerse yourself a bit more and in the absence of a 'big brother' we must take it upon ourselves to mould the forums in to what we want them to be

Just my view

Ian

Firstly the membership fee doesnt just cover this site but events and also speed series etc. as well as the magazine. I agree that the use of the site over the last 6 months has reduced but its only as good as the membership.

It is a great source of Westie knowledge as well as general info and helpful people

I like it lots

You make some constructive points and perhaps view it from a differing perspective in that you see a forum firstly ..... whereas perhaps others see the club firstly and the forum another part of that.

You say that you have attended local meets and enjoyed that aspect .... the thing is the WSCC membership fee also goes towards that. The WSCC has to pay out a good amount on insurance covering club meets and its functions, A.O's are another valuable volunteer team that may claim out of pocket expenses for their work in organising area functions etc.

It is certainly not just the website and this forum to which membership fees are offset but many other unseen areas of club admin and its undertakings - The forum is just one aspect of the WSCC - try and look at the whole and not just a part :);):) Club mag, events, shows etc etc etc

The forum can only be as good as the people taking time to post which although a good number, is certainly not 100% of the members :)

• Like 1

I haven't yet paid my membership purely because I dont think the site warrants the money that is being charged.

And you're probably right, but the website is but a very small part of what the Westfield Sports Car Club is. We are primarily a car club, made up of people who enjoy driving our cars either own our own, in groups on blats, or competing in the speed series etc. :t-up: The forum is a medium for us to communicate, orgainise and exchange ideas and maybe unlike other car clubs is not our primary focus. Some choose to contrubute to the forum, whereas there's many others that would prefer just to read, there are however many member that are incredably knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly that I know that don't frequent the forum, :cool: as you say the forum is only as good as it's contrubutors but without joining and getting out with the club these are people that you may not meet.

If you are interested in using a Westfield to it's full and enjoy driving it on road or track with other like minded people then you well see what the real benifits of the club are and the small anual fee that it costs to join and it's contribution towards the costs of the many events that the WSCC organises each year.

• Like 1

Mr Lord benny,

Rather than say what you don't like, what do you want and what are you prepared to do about it?

I really don't think you have stirred up anyone or thing, mearly revealed that you like different. 5years ago this site was, and I suspect in 5 years it will be different again, but the members make the club, not 10 or so mods. As terry says, the site is one aspect of a much bigger club that from top of my head organises;

Stoneleigh and other club shows

Local shows and events

Track days

Technical advice

Parts and upgrades

Insurance discounts

Deals with club sponsors

Used car sales

Potential car purchase advice

Merchandise

A huge number of volunteers to fix your car when you need it

Technical articles

Your public liability Insurance

AND THE BEST CLUB MAG IN THE WORLD.

• Like 2

You make some constructive points and perhaps view it from a differing perspective in that you see a forum firstly ..... whereas perhaps others see the club firstly and the forum another part of that.

You say that you have attended local meets and enjoyed that aspect .... the thing is the WSCC membership fee also goes towards that. The WSCC has to pay out a good amount on insurance covering club meets and its functions, A.O's are another valuable volunteer team that may claim out of pocket expenses for their work in organising area functions etc.

It is certainly not just the website and this forum to which membership fees are offset but many other unseen areas of club admin and its undertakings - The forum is just one aspect of the WSCC - try and look at the whole and not just a part :);):) Club mag, events, shows etc etc etc

The forum can only be as good as the people taking time to post which although a good number, is certainly not 100% of the members :)

Potential members first port of call and introduction to the club is through the forum, from there they can make friends, join local meets and eventually become a full blooded member. I just cant see why you should charge to use the forum, once a new member realises what a great environment the forum is it is then he/she realises that they may want a magazine! (I personally cant see the point!) or join the Speed series although I'd imagine that speed series members are a pretty small part of the WSCC membership. When I log onto the WSCC I log onto the forum, not the website home page which looks very tired and old hat.

What input does the factory have in the club?

Do they give any financial support?

The club, its membership, the local area and national meets and events, and the forums are a great place to belong, to learn, to converse, to contribute. I'd be lost without the banter and support, I'm always happy to help where I can and grateful to others for their experience and helpfulness.

As has been said the fees cover all maner of Club activities, I suspect paid up membership would open up currently hidden areas of these very forums such as search and sale and wanted. Any contribution, voluntary or by paying membership is most welcomed and needed in order for the members to get the most out of thier ownership and the Club itself.

But you don't have to pay to join the forum you yourself are here for free and able to post and make comment observation and seek advice all for free :)

The WSCC is totally independent organisation from the factory and any other commercial company :) there is no financial input into the WSCC other than advertising the same as every other company :)

Rather than say what you don't like, what do you want

I am concentrating on the forum as must as anything else...it is a very important part of an owners club for me. I can discuss carb balancing with Bob in Arbroath or seat runners with John on Torquay. I can arrange blats with local owners as well as chewing the fat with anyone about anything. At the moment I go to Pistonheads to discuss anything from films, to football to fondue, I realise they have a huge membership but I cant feel any of that kind of interaction going on here.

Which email did you use out of interest?

Give me a pm if you want, I am sure I can listen if you are prepared too as well?