Elvington Airfield Day

Jon Murray

Everyone,

Firstly, apologies for the short notice.

I have just been invited to an airfield day at Elvington near York on Saturday 2nd march 2002 by the West Yorkshire TVR CC - through a friend.  I don't have a TVR but I do have a Westfield and there's at least one other going too.

Its a pukka event, with marshalls and medical staff all taken care of.

To cut to the chase, they are undersubscribed at the moment (total of 43 entrants) and I offered to post a message on here to see if any of you guys wanted in!  I'm looking for 10 Westfields to join in.

I know the notice is very short, and it's not a case of being second best or anything, simply a great opportunity to take advantage of a track day with a bunch of like-minded enthusiasts.

I have a list of the entrants and there's lots of nice cars (Cerbera's, Tuscans, EVO's, Scoobies, A Spitfire), and not a single XR3i or similar to crash into your pride and joy!

Cost is £60 per car if enough cars can be drummed up, else there's a surcharge of £12 per car at the moment but this will reduce to £0 on a sliding scale, if another 10 cars can be sourced.  (Trust me - I'm not doing this to save a measly £12)

Might be a good chance to get to know the circuit prior to the WSCC day here or just shake down your car after the winter lull.

If you are definately interested then e-mail me at jon@jonmurray.com

Have to act very quickly on this one-- don't miss out!

Jonno

WRO,

1)  A helmet is required to BS 6658 Type A for drivers and passengers.

2)  You will also need to ensure you are covered up - i.e no t shirts or shorts (not likely in early March!;)

3)  You and your passenger will be required to wear a seat belt at all times whilst on the track.

3)  Most track days (including WSCC track days) ask that your car is fitted with an oil catch tank if the crank case breather vents to the atmosphere, there's no requirement for that on this occasion, but it's decent etiquette not to throw oil all over the track!

4) As I understand it there are no noise restrictions at Elvington - or that’s what the TVR guy said to me - yippee.

5)  The requirements of the driver are that he's not a complete nutter.  The marshalling will be thorough and lunatics endangering themselves or others will be asked to leave the track.

Thats about it, the only licence you will require is a normal driving licence to get yourself there.

Jonno

The requirements of the driver are that he's not a complete nutter.

Pah!   If you can't goon at an airfield whats the point ???

Is this the event where they've hired the whole runway so they have something like 2 mile straights?  Hmmm nice for the Trevors but a bit dull in a Westie I expect.

So if me and me old bubby come we have to have:

English weather clothes

Helmet

bottle on cran case breather

a seat belt

petrol

and £60

:devil:  :devil:

(are open faced helmets ok??,  OMP Jet Axis (BS6658-TypeA RAC Approved))

Open face are usually only allowed if you wear goggles a visor or at least glasses - this is for your own safety - in that small stones can be thrown up from the track and act like bullets when hitting your face.  :(

do i just turn up with £60 or....................

how much do i spend on a helmet

would £75 be ok for a bit of protection (OMP intergrale plus)

For TVR track day e-mail Jon as noted in his original message.

For a crash hat - you'll find a very recent thread elsewhere on pricing and type. "My first track day"

Oh dear, things have gone a bit t*ts up here with this one from my end of things.  My car's not going to be ready in time and the event doesn't look too suitable for Westfield's... please read on......

I have been away for a couple of days and my remote (pop3) e-mail access wasn't working from my domain provider.  So public apologies for not getting back to the people who e-mailed me until today.  I have now sent a reply e-mail to all the people who contacted me showing interest.

Juansolo - You know this airfield well, and you are perfectly correct, I have determined that they have hired the entire runway and have a 4 mile oval with two 2 mile straights.  Not going to be too much fun for a Westfield owner, probably not too much fun in a TVR either - unless you want to prove how fast it goes in a straight line.

Anyway the event is still on and I have e-mailed the details to those who contacted me, in case they're still interested.

I thought it only appropriate that I posted a message here to explain what has gone on since the original post some 4 days ago.  Now please excuse me whilst I quitely turn about and walk off, head bowed, sword in hand,  ((Falls foreward))....  Arrrggggghhhhah.

Jon