1700 x-flow

Young Pretender

Hi,

Just after a little bit of advice on this engine.  There's a car for sale stating that it has a rallytune 1700cc X-Flow engine (711m block) running a pair of new Webbers.  It's quoted to have 123bhp with 117 lbft.

Has anyone had/got this engine in their Westy and what are they like for power delivery?

Are they particularly tuneable?  Is it possible to squeeze say 170bhp from it?

I'm on the look out for something that's tuneable if it doesn't already have decent power  :D

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

We currently have a 1700 crossflow that is in our westy soon to be changed out for a VX 2litre red top.

Have a dyno printout for 138bhp and it drives quite well. Nice and nippy!

Soon to be for sale if you are interested?

Would it be for sale with the xflow or red top?  Drop me a PM with the spec, price and a few pics and I'd be happy to have a look.

Any other opinions on the xflow engine welcomed  :t-up:

As you probably already know the xflow is quite an old engine design, but it is a classic for a seven.

It really depends on what you want to do with the car.  BHP is only relative to many other factors, gearing, weight, setup etc.

I run a 1700 crossflow and have had quite a lot of fun with the car, and some moderate success in the speed series.

In fact the car has shown a clean pair of heels to some cars with much greater BHP.

If you intend to use the vehicle as a road car, I think you will be more than happy with the performance, and the sound of the engine will be :love::love::love:  

Xflows can achive 190/200 BHP if you have very deep pockets, but I think you would be better buying a car with a more modern engine if this is where you want to be :durr:

Can't stress enough though that gearing is far more important than BHP in such a light car.

JMHO

I was contemplating buying a lovely 1700cc Crossflowed Caterham before I bought my 2.0 Zetec but I realised that I just wouldnt be able to stop thinking....this just ain't enough power for me! I'm glad I didnt buy but if you dont want to do any motorway miles and can cope with being constantly beaten by diesel 1 series BMW's then get it!

Motorway miles with a 4 speed sc box and ATB :(  fair comment  :D

Standard 2.0l Zetec and BMW 1 series diesel fall into the catagory of a clean pair of heels.

:D  :D  :D

:)

I can honestly say my 1700 xflow is more than adequate performance wise for road use as i only use the car for a roads and tend to stay off motorways if i can help it.

The sound of a x flow on webers and the classic look of the car are a perfect combination for me.

Dont get too hung up on bhp though my car still feels quick even after i had been out in a 996 which had 450bhp on tap.

FWIW I've had my x/flow for about a year and love it, if you're just starting out they're simple to work on as well.

Its only 120bhp but it makes a fantastic noise, and is plenty quick enough for me. I guess its all relative though  :)

X/Flow's are a fantastic little engine for a Westfield, relatively light, simple, revvy and sound superb through twin carbs. They can be modified to produce ~160bhp quite easily, but it will cost quite a lot of money.

I recently changed from a x/flow on carbs to a zetec on TB's, and I did seriously consider upgrading the x/flow to ~160bhp. But I costed it out and it was a fairly scary bill as it need a lot more valve area and lift, which needed pocketed pistons, which to cope with the sort of power and revs required will need to be forged, plus the headwork, new valvetrain, etc, I was lookng at a bill in the region of £2.5-3k and that would have still been on carbs.

In the end I spent a similar amount on the zetec converions including the efi, and the bext bit with the zetec is all the money is invested in the efi, where as if the engine goes pop it's only £200 for another not £2000...

That said a small part of me does miss the x/flow.

As others have said bhp is relative, and 130-140 will be fantastic and really go and sound well.

Yes it is tuneable, and very extensively as it has nearly 50 years of Motorsport and experience behind it. However as Martin says the costs are quite expensive for the gains certainly when compared to more modern engines. That said, I would be tempted to get it and then keep an eye out for a tuned x flow as they turn up in the upgrade season as fantastic value for money.

Mr lordbenny, tounge in cheek I am sure, but 120 bhp x flow westie is more than a match for a 1 series, you do not need 200 bhp just to get off the drive way.

X flow fantastic engine, I have 2 Westfields both with x flow power, 1 (for sale , see for sale section) which did 5 seasons in the Speed Series with some success with app 120/140 bhp depends on whose rolling road you go by. The other makes about 190bhp and revs to 9500 BUT you could take a world cruise for the amount of money it took to get there.

Agree with everything said above.  It really is more about talent and skill rather than BHP for road use in a Westy.  Face facts, if you're roading it, you're not driving flat out all the time, in fact probably less than 50% of the time and that's optimistic.  A well-sorted Westy with a good crossflow will embarrass many high-powered cars with low-wattage drivers.  The component that can be upgraded the easiest that will bring the biggest performance improvement is the driver.

Had a 1690 Xflow on Webers in the car for about 15 years IIRC. Had 140bhp quoted from the rolling road for it. On the whole, great wee engine and a key point being wee - it's light. Converted it to 3D ignition later in it's life and that made a huge imrpovment to the driveability. Final step was to fit GSXR 600 TBs and go injected.

Latterly fitted a box-stock 2l Zetec on the same TBs, and for road use, have to say...find it vastly superior for what we want from the car. More torque, more power, way more economical, way, way quieter and way less messy in terms of oil leaks!

Wouldn't ever diss the Xflow though. As has been said, it works really well in a Westy.

Glowing reports from most people then.  Sounds like a good little engine, although from what I know I would favour the zetec engine.  

I should have said it would be a track car as well as for road so it really does need to be capable of a little more power to hold my interest over the coming years.  Very useful info on that matter though so thanks for the comments  :t-up: