'Blade questions

Martin H

Evening all (first post on this forum).

I'm thinking of coming over from the dark side ( ;) ) in search of more power at an affordable price, and am particularly interested in a Blade. It would be almost exclusively for track use. Having browsed the forum for a while, I have a few unanswered questions:

1) It seems that concensus is that a blade doesn't need a dry sump. However, would that still stand for a track only car? Or is it just a case of recognising that it could blow up, but the engines are relatively cheap anyway? If a dry sump is needed, what's the rough cost?

2) How easy and costly is it to retrofit a full cage? And are they readily available?

3) Will a 'blade fit on a minno trailer (I believe the cockpit is wider than a Caterham's?)

4) What's the main driver for the difference in price? I've seen 'blades of a similar age and apparently similar spec for between £9k and £12K. It makes me think that there's a certain amount of "hidden" things to look out for that make a big difference to performance/reliability/cost. Is that the case, or am I likely to have just seen a bargain at £9k??

Many thanks - and apologies for all the questions!!!  :)

Martin

Evening Martin

The BEC Boys will be along shortly and i'm sure will answer all your questions.

Don't forget to join the club, it's good value for money  ;)  :t-up:

By track use do you mean trackdays or racing (or both)? Anyway:

1) - Lots of Blade cars have done lots of laps and none I've heard of 'blew up' due to lack of a drysump. These engines seem for the most part very robust and put up with a lot of abuse (I.E. Trackdays :D ). So no, I think you'll be fine without a drysump.

My old Megablade did a fair few trackday laps and was fine. My new build Blade will also be doing trackdays without a drysump (and this one is turbocharged).

2) - Have a look at this thread: Cage I think this is a bolt-in cage but I'm sure the owner can confirm these details (inc. costs).

3) - Think so.

4) - Build quality (was the car put together or thrown), previous useage, history/documentation/receipts, is it a true Mega or a converted SEiW/SEW/SE, 4pot brakes, AVO rather than Spax (except for the Gold ones), lots of carbon fibre...... etc. Best bet is go and have a carefull look and compare what you get for your money.

Oh, I know this is your first post and all, but I feel I must correct something you said:

I'm thinking of coming over from the dark side

The word is "to" not "from" :D  :D  :D  :D

Welcome and have fun,

John

The BEC Boys will be along shortly and i'm sure will answer all your questions

All except for Barney, who's now too busy changing nappies now :D  :D