1.3l westy on ebay

Conehead

me thinks you should of thought about the logistics first ,your in cardif and the cars in lincolnshire ,and you cant tow a trailer  :oops:  ;)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Conehead

• SteveD

• Mark (smokey mow)

• Hammy

hope colins ok with it  :D  :blush:

Well if worst comes to worst they will rent me a trailer but if i get stopped i will get points. TBH i automactically assummed i could pick it up as i have been towing bikes for 3 years.. Bit naive there me thinks  :blush:

Well if worst comes to worst they will rent me a trailer but if i get stopped i will get points. TBH i automactically assummed i could pick it up as i have been towing bikes for 3 years.. Bit naive there me thinks  :blush:

and what happens if you have a accident or worse a serious accident while towing :oops:  and knowingly rented and used a trailer without i licence to do so

Rather than risking points or worse have you looked at Shiply or any of the vehicle transport companies?

Best to wait for your Dad to tow it, 7 days is only a short time.   Interesting Westy you bought there.

Unless there is a newer license than mine, (mine was of the "new" sort back in 1999) you should be ok...

What was quoted before is as I understand it too... Max weight of trailer and westy cannot exceed weight of tow vehicle, and not over 3.5t....

Westy weighs in somewhere between 500-600kg normally, dont know what trailer youre using but normally a braked one allows the driver to tow more weight...obviously if the trailer takes the total weight over that of the towing vehicle then its a no go anyway... Whats the towing vehicle?

Dont think theyres been another change in the licenses since 1999 has there?

My license is 2001 car is a c5 estate 1,7 tonnes. Were the trailor company wrong about the brakes? They said there trailors are 500kg. If so I'm all good then?

vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Whereas

the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.

Looks like I can tow..... Oh dear all that fuss over nothing.

wht does your licence say