Towing eye

SootySport

That's what I like about Cleggy's design; it's about as immune as you can get from ham fisted towers.

Though having said that, I am quite I pressed with how far forward that yellow bracket comes, though not much use for those of us with a number plate in the way. :down:

I think a couple of 6m bolts and a nose cone attachment could be a little underated. A lot stick with the roll bar tow and until I have a purpose built jobbie will rely on two webbing straps one to each lower wishbone and a long trap to the tow car. I have this set up in my boot box in case I do need a tow on the road. Not ideal as the purpose built welded in job by Cleggy but will do for now. If your in the kitty litter the last thing you want is your nose being dragged off by the course tow truck.

Something fit for purpose would be necessary but not easily added.

Bob :cry:

True, but I'd be loath to let them strap on to a wishbone.

Dave,

It would have to be to both wishbones or you risk damaging your suspension big time. Mines only for selective road use attached by me until I find something better. Liked the look of the other yellow eye jobbie but any attachment would require some additional bolting and chassis holes which need to be carefully considered. I also have a spacesaver spare wheel for her indoors to put in my get me home rescue truck, saves carting around a full size spare and I also have one of those american tyre plugging kits. Obviously not for a trackday though. Sat nav and mobile phone at the ready or one of the rescue services if she's too busy.

Bob :)

I think a couple of 6m bolts and a nose cone attachment could be a little underated.

You'd be suprised how much force a fastener is shear is capable of carrying. The towing loop on my tin top is nothing more than a loop of 6mm steel rod.

Agreed but a shock load whilst dragging a car out of the kitty litter won't be a gentle affair, well mostly not.

Bob

Agreed but a shock load whilst dragging a car out of the kitty litter won't be a gentle affair, well mostly not.

Bob

That's the very reason why I have the the tow point on the chassis and don't rely on the roll bar or wishbone, too much risk for something to get damaged in a ham fisted recovery IMO.

M8s have been used. Suggest a search regarding towing from wishbones may be handy.

I understand you mean both wishbones Bob, but my point was exactly that about, about the shock load put on the wish bones if they "snatch" it tugging you free, or whilst pulling you along, also I'd have thought quite difficult to control where on the wishbone the tow loop sits once recovery is under way. Plus with two straps out near the wheels, you do increase the risk somewhat of running over your own tow line.

Dave

Fully agree thats why its only planned as an emergency to get me home and only when I have personally attached the towing set up and can control the take off on the road. Its no way intended as at track day alternative. There are all sorts of issues wth driving over the tow rope, attachments etc etc and the speed of take of by the tow car but if you can accomplish that by retraining her indoors as a rescue driver why not. I trained a bunch of middle easterners to do it reasonably successfully so why not, we used to have a least one roll over a week. Pajeros and 4 x 4s mainly, most I must say we just picked up with the Hiab and transported to the graveyard.

If however I choose to let some numpty clip on a tow rope and drag my front off because he can then I would be concerned. My worry is that with that little cross member where the nose cone attaches to the small triangular bracket already drilled in two places and with 2 X 6mm bolts which may take more load than expected in shear then I would expect some chassis damage if deeply embedded in a run off area. As someone else wrote they wouldn't wish to drill more holes without them being properly sleeved than necessary.

Wishbones I can fix, chassis repairs mean more indepth welding, set up and preparation so don't even want to go down that road. I'm prepared to take my chances with my current temporary set up but am actively looking for a properly engineered solution, maybe also utilising the chassis cross rail a little further back which is currently holding an aluminium sheet with my oil cooler on, supposed to be a battery mounting plate.

Bob :cry: