Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

Still need to pester Cleggy though; I miss seeing the old Spyder coming together, (and apart, and back together) ;)

• Like 1

Fantastic result and good first day photos!

Anyway, it's not a build thread any more, it's an upgrade thread :d

I thought my ears were burning :)

engine should be coming out of the mx5 next weekend

how long do you normally have to wait between ordering your kit and the pick up date?

how long do you normally have to wait between ordering your kit and the pick up date?

I'm not sure but I'd suggest waiting until Stoneleigh as in the past they have given discounts for kit orders placed at the Show.

I was lucky buying mine, while at the factory for a test drive I struck a deal with them on a spare kit they happened to have taking up space in the workshops, and I brought it home that same day on the roof rack :oops:

6-8 weeks usually. If they do the Stoneleigh discount again this year (which I think they will) it's definitely worth it. The 10% discount off the kit and future purchases has probably saved me a grand on it's own. You can order the kit for a later delivery date if you want - I ordered at Stoneleigh for a late August delivery.

hmmmm wasn't planning on going to stonleigh! do you think they'll do the discount if I say I know they do the discount stonleigh but wouldn't want to take up there time at the stand??????? :)

hmmmm wasn't planning on going to stonleigh! do you think they'll do the discount if I say I know they do the discount stonleigh but wouldn't want to take up there time at the stand? ?????? :)

Darve, lend me your credit car for Stoneleigh and I'll order one for you :)

Oh and I may get a few bits for myself too while I have it :d :d :d

I sorted out the suction on the fuel filler cap tonight, correctly diagnosed by smokeymow :t-up:

I removed the copper and rubber fuel pipes that ran from the tank breather up into the engine bay. This line was originally installed to fit to the carbon canister, but I discarded the carbon canister later in the build. When I removed it I blew the pipe and a load of fuel came out, so it had been laying in the copper pipe and stopping the tank from breathing, thus creating suction.

I then put a rubber fuel pipe onto the breather and fixed it to the chassis in the rear of the car

SAM_0773.jpg

SAM_0774.jpg

The fuel cap comes off a treat now :yes:

Yes - good work again Mark. And a weight saving to boot!! :cool:

Did the indicator spacers arrive back with you yet?

Sorry, yes thanks Gary they arrived back over the weekend :t-up:

Good, thanks for the loan :yes:

Next up - I need to fit some smaller/snug fitting ones on the nose - I have already got cracked gelcoat :angry: Will I find some at Stoneleigh?

I should think so. SVC and CBS have relieved me of quite a bit of money for electrical goodies at the show over the years...

I had the exact same problem with the westfield pods wobbling up and down cracking the gell coat on the nose.

I fitted some of these a few weeks after SVA. From memory they event fitted the holes already in the nose :cool:

Europa, SVC and Car Builders have all in the past had a good range of indicators for you to choose from.