Newbie after some advice

KugaWestie

I have managed to find an M plate logbook that I can have, then I would have to change the engine numbers over I guess on the V5.

Cough, or restamp the engine  :blues:

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• Mark (smokey mow)

• TIG Brother

• CRAIGR

I have managed to find an M plate logbook that I can have, then I would have to change the engine numbers over I guess on the V5.

Cough, or restamp the engine  :blues:

Restemping it is an option, but I cant find the engine number!! :blush:

Good to meet you today Gary and enjoy the build  :t-up:

Likewise mate  :t-up:

Found the reg number by the way - on the key.

Now to try and recover the V5 - what does everyone think my chances are - quote the engine number?

You'd need to know the VIN to get a replacement V5 then you can fill out one of these. Trouble is that assuming the donor was declared as scrapped the best you'll get from the DVLA will be a photocopy of the V5.

If the Donor was a UK car then there's a chance that you may be able to get the VIN from a friendly mazda dealer.

Done a bit of digging around and have established the donor car was a Eunos.

Manufactured in 1994

First registered in 2000 - I know the reg number

Category C write off 21 Jan 2008

No record of it being scrapped

Hope to find the Engine number sometime soon!

Any ideas on finding the VIN?

Hope to find the Engine number sometime soon!

I believe it's at the rear, just to the right of the exhaust manifold where it mounts to the head, and just above the dipstick tube, on a plate.  Apparently, they are notorious for being hard to read and may require some gentle cleaning to avoid damaging the number.

He's right, I spent ages trying to find mine expecting it to be stamped in big letters... nope! Lightly stamped somewhere you can't really see. I'll take a photo of the location tonight if you get stuck.

He's right, I spent ages trying to find mine expecting it to be stamped in big letters... nope! Lightly stamped somewhere you can't really see. I'll take a photo of the location tonight if you get stuck.

About here :t-up:

Found the engine number

Anybody know where I can purchase some Big End and also Main Crankshaft bearings?

There are a couple of dodgy ones of both type, so dont really want to buy a complete set  :angry:

Another engine will cost you in the region of 300-400 quid if there are to many problems with the one you have. Or pick up another written off car for say 250 quid.  The crank and big end shells are not going to be cheap. Just keep that in mind.

Another engine will cost you in the region of 300-400 quid if there are to many problems with the one you have. Or pick up another written off car for say 250 quid.  The crank and big end shells are not going to be cheap. Just keep that in mind.

Yeah, I was bearing that in mind. Bit of a PITA really, as it is only a couple of each that are shot, so dont really want to buy a complete set!

If you ignore the so called refurbed engines then you can pick up a replacement for a lot less than that.  The engine presently in my narrow car was picked up for the bargain price of £175 with gearbox.  That may sound a lot but it was a race engine from an ex Ma5da race car with all the machining done to up the power and complete with a copy of the rolling road results.

I'd previously turned down the chance to buy another local engine that sold for only £10!! :oops:

The best prices and probably the best engines are from the private sellers.  I've read a few bad reports regarding a couple of the business sellers on ebay who are selling engines as suposidly refurbed when in reality they have had nothing more than a quick tart up of the outside.

If it is a simple and obvious fix then get the parts and do it as that should be the cheepest way.  I would however advise checking that is the only parts needed and also writing a "worst case" shopping list to work out prices,  myself Rick and Chris have all ended up having to do a lot of work to our engines as a result of chasing problems.

What was the engine putting out on the rolling road mark?

The one in the narrow was showing 128 which for a 1600 that started with 114 isn't too bad for only having had a head skim and the valve seats cut.

I'm still yet to get the other one on a RR but when I do I'm hoping for a little bit more than that :)

If you ignore the so called refurbed engines then you can pick up a replacement for a lot less than that.  The engine presently in my narrow car was picked up for the bargain price of £175 with gearbox.  That may sound a lot but it was a race engine from an ex Ma5da race car with all the machining done to up the power and complete with a copy of the rolling road results.

I'd previously turned down the chance to buy another local engine that sold for only £10!! :oops:

The best prices and probably the best engines are from the private sellers.  I've read a few bad reports regarding a couple of the business sellers on ebay who are selling engines as suposidly refurbed when in reality they have had nothing more than a quick tart up of the outside.

If it is a simple and obvious fix then get the parts and do it as that should be the cheepest way.  I would however advise checking that is the only parts needed and also writing a "worst case" shopping list to work out prices,  myself Rick and Chris have all ended up having to do a lot of work to our engines as a result of chasing problems.

Yeah, think there may be a few more bits missing yet - cannot see the sump oil pick up pipe anywhere, and also not sure I have got the front and rear camshaft oil seals either.

add that lot up and it is over £200 from these guys Autolink

Pick up pipe was definately around Gary as i remember seeing it. Will have a scout around the mess which is my garage later to see if its here still. :t-up:

Update .DOH!!

Found in another another another box.

Your steering wheel centre , oil pick up pipe, two mahoosive jubilee clips which i think are for the exhaust heatshield, and a pair of s/hand donor handbrake cables.  :bangshead:  :bangshead: