• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• Mark (smokey mow)

• TIG Brother

• CRAIGR

Can anybody point me in the direction of somewhere that I can buy some clips to fix the main fuel lines through from the rear to front of the car?

Or is it easier to just buy from Westfield direct?

Do you mean the plastic P clips? If so, they're available in most of the parts suppliers and auto electrical type places, Demon Tweaks, Merlin, Car Builder Solutions, Polevoltmilton, Vehicle Wiring Solutions to name a few! Also available from more general electronics type suppliers such as RS, Farnell, Maplins etc.

The saddle type clips are available from Car Builder Solutions and Demon Tweaks at least, though I'm sure many of the usual suspects probably do them too.  :D

Thanks

Just been doing a bit of cross referencing, and I have established that the exhaust in my kit is a "Non-Cat" type.

Firstly - I assume I will need to incorporate a cat for road use?

Secondly - what are my options on including a cat - can I add one in on the run on the side of the car? If so, will the exhaust cover/heat shield cover it so it is not visible?

The exhaust is buried in the shed and I am work!

You can get silencers from westfields with a cat, not entirely cheap mind. However, it depends on the age of your engine, which I guess you'll need to get a copy of the original documentation for the donor. Or, if you go the Q plate route, you won't need a cat anyway.

You can get silencers from westfields with a cat, not entirely cheap mind. However, it depends on the age of your engine, which I guess you'll need to get a copy of the original documentation for the donor. Or, if you go the Q plate route, you won't need a cat anyway.

Thanks Dom - over £500 for an exhaust with a cat incorporated, and I have a brand new exhaust in my shed somewhere anyway!

Donor Car was a 1993. So if I go down the Q plate route - no CAT required for definite? will it go through IVa testing without?

With that age, if you can get the documents I don't think you'll need a cat either. Isn't it pre-1996 that's "cat-free"?

With that age, if you can get the documents I don't think you'll need a cat either. Isn't it pre-1996 that's "cat-free"?

Cheers Dom

I have managed to find an M plate logbook that I can have, then I would have to change the engine numbers over I guess on the V5, then would it be:-

M Reg (age related plate) - CAT required?

Q Plate - no CAT?

No cat needed any way with these.

I went through all the money on buying a cat exhaust only to find during IVA that I didn't need it.

On the emissions database there is no production information for a Westfield with an MX5 engine, this means that he has no data to test the emissions too, which then defaults back to a 'non-cat' test, both on year registrations and Q plates as long as you are pre 1996.

I obtained a letter from Mazda Uk specifying the year of manufacture of my engine. Think they charged me 12 quid for the letter.

I think there's a bit of confusion creeping in here between MOT and IVA rules. At the time of IVA you don't have a reg be it Q, original car or new year plate. That's outside the VOSA/IVA's scope.

For IVA whether or not you need a cat is solely down to the proven year of the engine, or to be more precise, the date the car it was first supplied with by Mazda was sold and first registered.

You must have acceptable paperwork to confirm this. Be aware that the DVLA in the past have had crack downs on phantom engine swaps. (though to be fair I think that was more an issue with people trying to claim Zetec engined Sierras!) I understand, though I've not tried it, that the DVLA may ask for receipts, letters from the garage doing the work etc. when trying to register an engine swap on the V5.

Q plate emissions testing, the visible smoke only check, only comes into play for MOTs.

I went through all the money on buying a cat exhaust only to find during IVA that I didn't need it.

On the emissions database there is no production information for a Westfield with an MX5 engine, this means that he has no data to test the emissions too, which then defaults back to a 'non-cat' test, both on year registrations and Q plates as long as you are pre 1996.

I obtained a letter from Mazda Uk specifying the year of manufacture of my engine. Think they charged me 12 quid for the letter.

Thanks, that answers it nicely.

How did you obtain your Mazda letter, give them the engine number in the local garage?

Be aware that the DVLA in the past have had crack downs on phantom engine swaps. (though to be fair I think that was more an issue with people trying to claim Zetec engined Sierras!) I understand, though I've not tried it, that the DVLA may ask for receipts, letters from the garage doing the work etc. when trying to register an engine swap on the V5.

My Eunos donor didn't have an engine number shown on the V5, which was going to cause me a problem at IVA(must be an import thing as my old imported Alfa was the same).

I just read the engine number from the block, filled it in on the V5, sent it away to Swansea and got the log book back with the engine number showing within 2 weeks.

If you have a log book for an M reg car, it would be advisable for you to just change the engine number on the V5 and send it to Swansea. Because unless Mazda confirm the engine thats in the car is the same year as the car on the log book your gonna end up on a Q plate for using major parts of a different age.

I obtained a letter from Mazda Uk spIecifying the year of manufacture of my engine. Think they charged me 12 quid for the letter.

Thanks, that answers it nicely.

How did you obtain your Mazda letter, give them the engine number in the local garage?

Again Mark 'Westfield' wendon I think gave me the details.

No you needs to speak to the homologations manager at Mazda uk. Give them the information, and you then needs to put it in writing along with a cheque ad they then send you the letter.

A search should bring up a previous post with the phone number for Mazda to call to obtain the letter.  IIRC i paid £35 for mine and in the end I fitted a CAT anyway as I needed one to use the car for motorsport. :oops:

If nobody can find the post I'll do a search later when I get home. :t-up:

I'm back :D that's the folks seen for another week :t-up:

Here's the post I was thinking of

You need to call Mazda UK on 08457 484848 and ask to speek to the Homologations Manager.

Give him the engine number and then he'll take down a few personal details and ask you to write in with a cheque for £35 (prices correct in 2008 :D )

Send the bribe err sorry payment to:

Mazda Motors UK Limited

Anchor Boulevard

Dartford

Kent

DA2 6QH

Then a couple of weeks later you'll get a letter back from them on some cheep headed copy paper (that probably cost no more than 30p) confirming the engine number and it's manufacture date.  If the donor was an import there may be a slightly longer delay as they need to call a little bloke in Japan to get the necessary details for the car.