• Mark (smokey mow)

• TIG Brother

• CRAIGR

No problem that's what we are all here for

Cheers

What engine do you have in yours?

Looks great by the way!

Mines an 1800 mx5.

I was soo tempted to buy the kit from Craig as a little cheap track goer and keep mine as the sunny toy. but my sensible head got the better of me. I will have to find something else to keep me entertained over the winter now :)

You are lucky enough now to be In the situation where there are more and more mx based kits coming onto the market with lots of good and informative blogs to help guide you through the build process. Andifyou get stuck there are plenty of us on here to offer a helping word of advice

All I will say it try not to get over come with all the ' how many hours does it take.'. Go at you're own pace and just ensure you do everything right. It's all part of the fun and learning process.

Mines an 1800 mx5.

I was soo tempted to buy the kit from Craig as a little cheap track goer and keep mine as the sunny toy. but my sensible head got the better of me. I will have to find something else to keep me entertained over the winter now :)

You are lucky enough now to be In the situation where there are more and more mx based kits coming onto the market with lots of good and informative blogs to help guide you through the build process. Andifyou get stuck there are plenty of us on here to offer a helping word of advice

All I will say it try not to get over come with all the ' how many hours does it take.'. Go at you're own pace and just ensure you do everything right. It's all part of the fun and learning process.

You need to get yourself an old narrow body as a project Rick and drop an MX5 engine in that over the winter :D

Gary, take as much time as you need to and enjoy the build.  Some people have built them in only a few months whereas others have taken several years.  It all depends on our own abilities and how much time we can get in the garage.

Rick's correct in that there's a lot more information out there regarding the mazda kits than the early days.  When I built mine back in 2008 there was only one other build blog on the web for me to follow.  Unfortunately for me I was building quicker than he was and I soon lost my only source of information when I overtook him in the build :D Now I can count probably 15-20 different blogs, not to mention the help and assistance you can get from the WSCC owners on the boardroom and also the Westfieldmiata forum.

Lucky for you with Craig's car the tricky and time consuming job of paneling the chassis and running the fluid lines has already been done for you, so you can jump straight in to the bolting bits together stage :t-up:

Have fun

Gary just remember on these darker evenings which direction you threw the spanners down the garden when it gets frustrating so you can find them in the morning.  :laugh:

Gary just remember on these darker evenings which direction you threw the spanners down the garden when it gets frustrating so you can find them in the morning.  :laugh:

I know the answer to that one - tie some string on the closed end to anchor them down!!

We have rented garages in the area behind our house.  One evening the doorbell goes and it's a guy I know who has a beautiful Porsche 912 in one of the garages.  He explains that he's been working on replacing the fuel line, the only way of which to do so is to remove the steering column!  After spending an hour wrestling with it, he came out and threw a screwdriver down on the ground, which promptly bounced over our six foot high brick wall at the back and landed in our pond!  The fish looked unimpressed, but I knew where he was coming from, been there myself frustration wise!

Also with the aid of the blogs you can work out which parts of the manual to ignore ;)

Also with the aid of the blogs you can work out which parts of the manual to ignore ;)

Like dont fit the engine using the three mounting holes supplied  ???

Before drilling off engine mounts ensure the gearbox fits in the tunnel and isn't sitting against the cross members / chassis rails.

Fit plenty of cable tie anchor points in the engine bay on the drivers side BEFOR you fit the engine and body work. ( other wise you cannot get a drill in the gaps )

Make you're own hole for the steering column to pass through the bulk head and make it some thing like 3 times larger than what is stated. Depending on what coloumn assy they give you.

Ignore the prop modification length until you can actually measure the distance between the gear box and diff.

Ensure you leave plenty of time so that you're steering column can be cut and welded 3 times before it comes back from Westfield the correct length.

Feel free to add any others. :D

Craig and Tig on a scare me mission!

Intention is to take my time, and always remembering the old phrase - think twice, cut once  :laugh:

Craig and Tig on a scare me mission!

Intention is to take my time, and always remembering the old phrase - think twice, cut once  :laugh:

Lol.

Also prepare for the time period after you're finished, the IVA completed, it's registered and on the road, and the first wise-A*** who comes in here and tries to entice you into an upgrade.  This time period is roughly about ten minutes.

Also prepare for the time period after you're finished, the IVA completed, it's registered and on the road, and the first wise-A*** who comes in here and tries to entice you into an upgrade.  This time period is roughly about ten minutes.

10 Minutes ???!!!

Ok, must remember that one!

Who is the resident IVA expert ?