Newbie after some advice

KugaWestie

The build manual is pretty comprehensive for most things but like any kit car they'll always be a few area that leave you guessing.  The mazda suppliment is about 80 pages and then they're a similar amount in the standard build manual that is supplied for fitting the body etc.  There's a good few of us on the Boardroom that have built one now and are always happy to help with any questions, chances are it would have already been asked before.  

There's also a good few build blogs on the internet for various builds.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• Mark (smokey mow)

• TIG Brother

• CRAIGR

Is the build manual comprehensive?

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Comprehensively frustrating! But sufficient and other clever people like Smokey and TIGBrother and many others have been there and can help you through here on the boards build it to a very high standard.

At the risk of giving you all a laugh.......Am I right in saying that the body panels are all fibreglass?

:blush:

At the risk of giving you all a laugh.......Am I right in saying that the body panels are all fibreglass?

Yes, all fibreglass and precoloured with a gelcoat finish  :cool:

Ok, good

There are a few scratches on the "tub" according to Craigs description.

Firstly, I assume the tub is the rear body section, and secondly, will they polish out? I know this depends how deep they are, but how easy is it to work on the fibreglass/gel coat finish?

Ok, good

There are a few scratches on the "tub" according to Craigs description.

Firstly, I assume the tub is the rear body section, and secondly, will they polish out? I know this depends how deep they are, but how easy is it to work on the fibreglass/gel coat finish?

The coloured gelcoat is much thicker than paint on a "normal" car and most scratches and scuffs can be easily wet sanded & machine polished out. The "tub" is the main single piece body section that runs from behind the front wheels and wraps around the rear of the car.

Smokey - your pallet donor engine - how many miles had it covered before you got it?

Did you do a complete strip down and rebuild, or clean and paint?

Smokey - your pallet donor engine - how many miles had it covered before you got it?

Did you do a complete strip down and rebuild, or clean and paint?

90K but it's history subsequent to that is a bit of a long story.  :D  I'll try to keep it short. :p

The engine got nothing more than a quick degrease before I dropped it into the Westfield.  A quick oil change, new filter and a check of the belts and that was it.

It ran faultlessly for the first year, got me to leMans and back and clocked up nearly 3000 miles but the following winter I took it back out to tidy up some the the wiring, hoses and give it a paint.  At the same time decided to get a bit of head work done to up the power and that was where my problems began (you can read all about it here).  Basically it transpired that my engine had been rebuilt at some point in the past but with a combination of parts from an auto engine.  It was perfectly fine when standard but but the head skim I had done over that winter increased the pressure a little bit too much for what turned out to be pistons from an auto engine :oops:

I gave up at that point and handed it to Nikpro who soon had it all fixed up and better than new :t-up::t-up:

This is it in 2009 just prior to SVA just a lick of paint on the cam cover.

IMG_1830.jpg

Spring 2010 looked like this

IMG_3140.jpg

And this is now :cool:

DSC_0392.jpg

Very nice mate!

I get the feeling this is the start of a bottomless pit  ???

Well, thanks for all your help so far guys.

I visited the Westfield factory today, had a good look round, asked laods of questions and got taken for a 15 minute blast in a 2.0 duratec. Very very nice.

To cut to the chase, I have atruck a deal with CraigR and am collecting his "just started" kit this coming Saturday  :cool:

Cannot wait to get going now!

As a Westfield owner you'll get adicted to upgrading :D and we'll always be here to help you spend your money :D:D You can never add too much carbon fibre, but chrome is the future :cool: It's so addictive I'm now building my second :p

Well done :cool::t-up:

Well done, congratulations, and above all, frustrating though it may be at times, enjoy it. It's worth it!  :t-up:  :D

I feel this is the start of a massive journey!

So how many hours did you take to build yours first time around?

Garage is all cleared out ready to go, its gonna be tight with all that gear in one go, might have to store some bits outside under a tarpaulin!