Newbie after some advice

KugaWestie

The completion package is probably the cheepest way to do it as it's discounted compared to buying the parts individually, You can however ask for parts to be deleted if you want to source certain bits yourself.  I only bought the starter kit as it worked out easier for me that way and allowed me to spread the cost, but it was a PITA at times having to order parts from various places and then having to wait for them before I could get on and build.  

One thing a lot of us have done is to not use the mazda's clocks and opted instead for the standard westfield or carbon dash.  IMO this looks a lot nicer and if this is a route you decide to take I've a wiring guide that I can email to you for modifying the loom to make it work.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• Mark (smokey mow)

• TIG Brother

• CRAIGR

I have been scouting around for a donor vehicle and there are quite a few "Eunos" ones around.

As they are imports, does this cause problems later down the line with registration, and also retaining a year plate?

No problem at all with the Eunos, mine was one, it doesn't affect the registration at all.

They tend to be a pretty good buy.

You might also be interested in looking at this as a cheep way to get a kit and a donor.

Edit: and also on Pistonheads

It could be argued that the Eunos is the better buy anyway - it has a full power 116bhp engine and slippy diff as standard.

Don't buy a late uk spec 1.6 - the engine is low powered.

I have been scouting around for a donor vehicle and there are quite a few "Eunos" ones around.

As they are imports, does this cause problems later down the line with registration, and also retaining a year plate?

No problem at all with the Eunos, mine was one, it doesn't affect the registration at all.

They tend to be a pretty good buy.

You might also be interested in looking at this as a cheep way to get a kit and a donor.

Edit: and also on Pistonheads

I am definitely interested in taking this kit, but cannot post on the for sale section

Hi Gary

About to send you a pm.

Mark thankyou again for the heads up. :t-up:

Hi Craig

I am only a guest at present, so not sure a pm will work?

I have sent you an e-mail via pistonheads if pm wont work......

Hi Gary

You are correct it doesn't work.

Give me a call on the number on pistonheads mate  :t-up:

Will do, in the meantime can you reply to my e-mail to give me some more information please?

Hi Gary

You are correct it doesn't work.

Give me a call on the number on pistonheads mate  :t-up:

Will do, in the meantime can you reply to my e-mail to give me some more information please?

Chat had with Craig, need a few hours to think about things and assess space at home, as original plan was not to buy all at once, but hopefully we can strike a deal.

Smokey - Craig has no V5 for the donor vehicle, do you think this will end up becoming a Q plate? If I try to retrieve the V5 and it has been declared scrapped?

Smokey - Craig has no V5 for the donor vehicle, do you think this will end up becoming a Q plate? If I try to retrieve the V5 and it has been declared scrapped?

The main reason for needing the V5 is to prove to the DVLA that the majority of the donor parts were taken from a single vehicle and proving the age of that.  

Due to an error on my part I didn't have the V5 for my donor at the registration stage, yet the DVLA in Ipswich were happy to accept the tear of slip together with a photocopy of the original V5 sent to me by swansea (they wouldn't issue a new one for change of ownership as the car had been declared scrapped).

If you can provide sufficient receipts, details, photos etc to the DVLA to show the age of the parts then you'll get an age related plate.  If you can't convince them of the age then it's a Q plate. That said there are certain advantages to having a Q.

If you're worried and definately want to ensure you get an age plate, then I'd consider buying a complete wreck off Ebay and using the V5 and engine from that in Craig's car, then breaking and selling the rest of the parts for profit.  

From experience you can get £100 for a standard diff, £200 for an engine and £50 for a gearbox, so it'll be pretty easy to get your money back.

Craigs engine is in pieces, so would probably be good for spares, therefore I would probably need another engine anyway.

So picking up a wreck off fleabay would probably still be the way to go, as it would guarantee a V5 and also give me some good spares, and like you say, a bit of wheeling and delaing would probably recover most of that spend.

Are the engine mounts the same for the 1.6 as they are for the 1.8 engine do you know?

The engine mounts are the same, the 1.8 engine is just a little bit taller and slightly longer than the 1.6.

There's a few differences with regards to the diff and obviously the wiring loom and ecu but otherwise there's not much to tell them apart.

Thats good then.

Is the build manual comprehensive? Bearing in mind if I take Craig's kit, I am getting a lot of bits in boxes to unravel