Guide to wishbone bushes

Frosty

• 1 year later...
On 23/11/2015 at 19:36, Trevturtle said:

I have recently fitted these bushes after the bright yellow nylon? bushes in the front bottom wishbones deformed under heavy braking during my last track day... they were not worn out, they 'reshaped themselves' due the braking force...not very good  :no: .  Probably ok for the road.

How did you find these ?

or has anyone else fitted  these ?

still as good as new after 2 years and many track days

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Road use only, less than 3 years old.

4A6831FE-8A16-4802-AD07-BD9F67C1B7FE.jpeg

59 minutes ago, bollockybill said:

Road use only, less than 3 years old.

4A6831FE-8A16-4802-AD07-BD9F67C1B7FE.jpeg

I’m not surprised those didn’t last long, the crush tube is shorter than the poly or plastic bushes, so they tear due to movement of the wishbone on the wishbone bracket. Never seen red ones either, only black top hat nylon bushes or the newer two piece white nylon version from the factory.

i spent hours fitting the original black top hat version as Frosty described in his original posts and they’ve lasted well on the track and road.

The Polyurethane bushes are a different system of bushing to the Nylon top hat version and also well described differences in Frosty’s posts.

AVO shocks, AVO bushes, AVO spacers, what could possibly go wrong?

These are the rear shock absorbers, fronts are ok, no probs.

AVO replaced the bushes foc.

• 2 months later...

I have just found this topic, thank You @Frosty for sharing this knowledge !

I have just found some play in rear upper wishbone bushes, and a loooot of play (rubber almost completly worn) in the differentia supporting rear arm bush (I assume it is the same as in wishbones) - all metalistic type of bushes. 

From this topic I can see, the best for trackday car are the nylon-type ones. But what source (shop) do You reccomend ? which one are the best (fitting and long-lasting). I want to avoid metalastic, because of possible removing troubles in future (now I have many troubles removing the old ones, trying two-socket method, penetrating oil etc,. have to look for someone with hydraulic press I think).

Does anyone know  what is the quality of Rally Design bushes ( http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=11844  ) the Yellow one (or red ?) - for trackday only car. I think this would be easy to mount and exchange in future ?

I had the yellow bushes fitted to my car when i purchased it.

Ok for road, but the first track deformed them..leading to movement.

Moved to nylon bushes (i think) from westfield. no problems since they were fitted

HTH

Thank You , do You mean those bushes from Westfield ? :

https://parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=899&search=bush&description=true

https://parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=841&search=bush&description=true

It says  "polyurethane"  - Powerflex.

I think it is the same as the left one on Powerflex site   ( https://www.powerflex.co.uk/search.php?keywords=westfield ) , somehow in Westfield-parts shop it is cheaper .

And not sure what are those two additional metalistic bushes in this complete in Westfield Shop, why not all are polyurethane ?

The ones you want at the Westfield shop ones,  they are nylon,  for each bush you need the metal tube, the nylon sleeve and two nylon end caps.  PlaysKool also have a similar bush, a metal tube and two nylon top hats that take the place of the separate sleeve and end caps. 

Power flex bushes are completely different and are too bulky as they get chewed up by the action of wishbone, they can’t be made to fit correctly.

Playskool - that one i think ? (there are no dimensions on the website)  :

http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/Nylon-Suspension-Bushes.html

Does Anyone have an opinion from experience regarding those playskool bushes ? seems easier to put end remove than one-part Westfield-Powerflex ones. 

As for the bushes in Westfield Shop it states exactly that those are Powerflex, even on the picture there is a Powerflex box 

https://parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=841&search=bush&description=true

The only Nylon bush  they sell seems to be bush foir differential mount :

https://parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=bush nylon&description=true

11 hours ago, Andrzej said:

Playskool - that one i think ? (there are no dimensions on the website)  :

http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/Nylon-Suspension-Bushes.html

Does Anyone have an opinion from experience regarding those playskool bushes ? seems easier to put end remove than one-part Westfield-Powerflex ones. 

Mine are the PlaysKool bushes and yes, they are specifically for a Westfield chassis.  The wishbone eyes do need a bit of fettling for them to work correctly.  The metal crush tube needs to be slightly longer than the wishbone housing with top hats fitted, all detailed in Frosty’s instructions.

The work does take some time to do correctly, it’s not a quick push them in job.

Wanting to complete my issues - some play in some rear car bushes : 

- the bush in the rear differential support was almos destroyed (metalastic) the rubber was ruptured, veery loose , I took inner tube and ruber easily, but had to use the saw to take out outer tube out. No so hard as I thought anyway. 

Two bolts keeping the differential  on its rear  mouting point was loose . Do not know why, as they was bolted right not so long ago . 

- what I found in the wishbones was nylon black bushes (two part - like the Playskool version). Only one had some play, other - the play was caused by litle loosen nuts on bolts in wishbone brackets. I could swear they were tightened when I was examining the car after buying it (30 or 40Nm with torque wrench) in my garage before taking on road or track. It was roughly 250-300 km ago. Almost track only, bu is it not so soon to get nuts loose ? 

Is it "normal" in Westfield construction that some bolts/nuts loosen when driving ? I have to check every one of them after every trackday ? Front suspension checked and it is tight so far.  But in rear few loose bolts  / nuts . Strange. The nuts are nyloc type of course. Maybe partialy the cause was oil mist from differential (not sure where in diff the leak is , but for sure  it is from diff) , so :  little oil  plus  vibrations...

I know I have to change to new nuts. The bolts to diff I used some blue  thread glue , just in case.  

Oh, and I have found some play in one of rear upper wishbone rosejoints. But already I have found  the appriopriate topic in WSCC Forum so I hope I find which rosejoint are durable enough.