Guide to wishbone bushes

Frosty

Just found this and was a great help in how to fit my nylon bushes correctly.

Thanks

Hi,

Great post :)

My question is what size do you ream the wishbone to accept the nylon bush? Undersize / Oversize by how much? Or spot on?

Ta

Geofff

:)

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to add my grateful thanks for this post too: it's clarified my muddy understanding  of bushes a lot!

:yes:

R

Really great post, thank you very much indeed. I have just taken my rear suspension apart completely. Having a Westfield Diff housing with the diff of the English axle, which was giving me some trouble lately, I sent that one to Burton to get a new crown wheel and pinion including the Quaife LSD. I used this opportunity to also take all the bushes out of the wishbones as they have been in there for more than 20 years and appr. 80,000 miles.

I will get myself new nylon bushes from the factory thanks to this article. Otherwise I might have gone for the Powerflex PU bushes. Thanks again!!

The unsanswered question of a few posts earlier remains: using nylon bushes to what diameter would you recommend the eyes of the wishbones to be reamed (or maybe honed?) to?

And would it be advisable to exchange the rose joints as well? They look good and move well, but after that long time and milage I am really thinking about it. Which ones should be used, any advice there?

Many thanks again!

Really great article, very easy to understand which would help most people.

Well done :t-up: :t-up:

Tiggs

I'm guilty of skim reading this article (I've a lot of catching up to do...) but I didn't see mentioned another 'con' of the nylon bush, which is it can only be used as a bearing if the suspension movement is at 90deg to the crush tube. Great on front wishbones (if prepared and all mountings are 100% in line), not so good if intending to use on the rear suspension / panhard rod of a live axled car for example. Any articulation outside of the above mentioned (live axle bushes need to allow for a slight amount of twist in various planes) will result in striction, and possibly suspension mount flexing and maybe even failure...

I'm guilty of skim reading this article (I've a lot of catching up to do...) but I didn't see mentioned another 'con' of the nylon bush, which is it can only be used as a bearing if the suspension movement is at 90deg to the crush tube. Great on front wishbones (if prepared and all mountings are 100% in line), not so good if intending to use on the rear suspension / panhard rod of a live axled car for example. Any articulation outside of the above mentioned (live axle bushes need to allow for a slight amount of twist in various planes) will result in striction, and possibly suspension mount flexing and maybe even failure...

You're quite right about the nylon bushes and live axle cars. As the title of the article indicates though, it's all about wishbone bushes. It goes into detail about how each bush works though, so hopefully provides readers with enough information to make their own informed decisions about their specific application.

In my experience a wishbone always rotates squarely to the crush tube. The wishbone will deform slightly to allow this if required. The bracket would have to be a few degrees out for this to be an issue, but if this was the case then you would have bigger problems!

Unfortunately I have no experience with live axle cars, so I could only tailor this article to what I have direct experience with.

Really great post, thank you very much indeed. I have just taken my rear suspension apart completely. Having a Westfield Diff housing with the diff of the English axle, which was giving me some trouble lately, I sent that one to Burton to get a new crown wheel and pinion including the Quaife LSD. I used this opportunity to also take all the bushes out of the wishbones as they have been in there for more than 20 years and appr. 80,000 miles.

I will get myself new nylon bushes from the factory thanks to this article. Otherwise I might have gone for the Powerflex PU bushes. Thanks again!!

The unsanswered question of a few posts earlier remains: using nylon bushes to what diameter would you recommend the eyes of the wishbones to be reamed (or maybe honed?) to?

And would it be advisable to exchange the rose joints as well? They look good and move well, but after that long time and milage I am really thinking about it. Which ones should be used, any advice there?

Many thanks again!

Glad you enjoyed the article. As for the wishbone diameter, they must be reamed to the exact size of the nylon insert diameter. The nylon inserts need to fit securely, but not so tight that they restrict the crush tube from rotating inside of them. I don't know the exact size though - sorry.

You're quite right about the nylon bushes and live axle cars. As the title of the article indicates though, it's all about wishbone bushes. It goes into detail about how each bush works though, so hopefully provides readers with enough information to make their own informed decisions about their specific application.

In my experience a wishbone always rotates squarely to the crush tube. The wishbone will deform slightly to allow this if required. The bracket would have to be a few degrees out for this to be an issue, but if this was the case then you would have bigger problems!

Unfortunately I have no experience with live axle cars, so I could only tailor this article to what I have direct experience with.

Also true - but it is amazing how many just read what they want to see (nylon is best), and then fit them to the car... regardless if it is live axle.

Also, I don't know myself, but how well does a nylon bush cope when adjustment is made to the rod ends of an IRS Westfield? Or even used in the adjustable bushes in the ends of wishbones of SDV's? It is impossible to keep everything in line then! The only ideal answer is rod ends all round, or bushes with a bit of give...

My nylon bushes (IRS) car are probably up to around twelve thousand (road) miles now, over the past six or so years. No wear, no issues.

The reaming comments are interesting though; it's six ish years since I fitted mine, but was told at the time, there were essentially two ways to do it. (Both assumed the wishbone eyelet had been cleaned out of any powder coat/rust/scale etc.

The first, and the way I believed the factory did it, was to fit the Nylon bushes to all appropriate wishbone eyelets, and to then run a reamer through the bushes to ensure the crush tubes fitted correctly. (No play, and the wishbone would just fall gently under its own weight if you lifted one end up and released it).

The other, for those without a suitable reamer, was to mount the bush in a drill, preferably pillar, (I actually used a lathe), and sand, or turn, enough off the outside of the bush, to give the same correct fit of the crush tubes. 

Glad you enjoyed the article. As for the wishbone diameter, they must be reamed to the exact size of the nylon insert diameter. The nylon inserts need to fit securely, but not so tight that they restrict the crush tube from rotating inside of them. I don't know the exact size though - sorry.

Thanks again, Frosty. I can find out the exact diameter when I have the Nylons at hand, so nothing to apologize for. Not having reaming facilities myself I think I will use a small honing device to get as close as possible to the desired fitment. But first of all I will get all wishbones powder coated, and then I can clean and hone to the correct sizes at the same time.

• Like 1

Also true - but it is amazing how many just read what they want to see (nylon is best), and then fit them to the car... regardless if it is live axle.

Also, I don't know myself, but how well does a nylon bush cope when adjustment is made to the rod ends of an IRS Westfield? Or even used in the adjustable bushes in the ends of wishbones of SDV's? It is impossible to keep everything in line then! The only ideal answer is rod ends all round, or bushes with a bit of give...

When talking about wishbone bushes, we are really only referring to the inboard bushes which mount the wishbones to the chassis. This could be slightly misleading though so perhaps I should have made that clear in the article.

If you adjust the rear toe on an IRS Westfield, there is a rubber bush on the outer end of the wishbone (fitting against the upright) which is there to tolerate the toe angle changes. This is not a rotational bush like the rest though though - it's purely there to assist with toe angle. Even with a nylon setup, this outboard bush should remain as rubber. It means that this can deform, allowing the others so sit square.