F1 Farce - Red Bull Protest Rule Change And

Fat Albert

Because the rules in F1 are constantly being changed this is the result. I read an article once, where Adrian Newey said his job as a designer was to design a car that exploited every loophole in the rules to gain every bit of performance. It looks to me that is what Red Bull have done with Renault.

what nees to be decided for the future of F1 is what is it? Is it a drivers championship, is it a team championship, a designer championship, an advertising championship or increasingly a lawyer championship. Where Nascar, for example, wins the rules are pretty stable and it ensures racing that all can see as being fair with no huge advantages between teams.

The technical side of F1 is now in danger of loosing the fans as they see less and less relationship between whathappens on track and on the road.

Martin Brundle said he'd like to see a throttle operated by cable and a real gear shift...

Martin Brundle said he'd like to see a throttle operated by cable and a real gear shift...

Man after my own heart , put the driver back in control please  :t-up:

You may mock Indy Car racing and NASCAR and yellow flags and oval racing all you wish, an

Never,

NASCAR proper racing,

fast, close and overtaking, everything you want in motorsport. :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:

Well, apart from right turns... :oops::p:D

And the only one with the correct info on this thread will be FBB

...and that's why I'm staying well out of it!    :)

I read an article once, where Adrian Newey said his job as a designer was to design a car that exploited every loophole in the rules to gain every bit of performance. It looks to me that is what Red Bull have done with Renault.

I don't particularly follow F1, but realistically, why would an F1 team not do this?

Additionally, is it reasonable to publish a rule book that the cars conform to at the start of the season, and then change the rules when it turns out that one team has acheived a performance benefit that was initially deemed to fall within those rules that indeed any of the other teams could have done as well?

(again, don't particularly follow it so might be talking rubbish)

Additionally, is it reasonable to publish a rule book that the cars conform to at the start of the season, and then change the rules when it turns out that one team has acheived a performance benefit that was initially deemed to fall within those rules that indeed any of the other teams could have done as well?

You mean like the Brawn hole in the diffuser or the McLaren F-duct. Both loopholes were closed at the end of the season.

IMHO (As much as I would like to see Jenson or Lewis win) I don't think that Red Bull are being treated fairly over this.

Only going to make a few points:

> The FIA has made mid-season rule "clarifications" many times in the past as has already been pointed out with the overall aim of providing a level playing field (which they've not always achieved, to be fair).  The Red Bull cold blown defusing system  gave them an unfair advantage in that it reduces their fuel consumption, enabling them to carry less fuel and therefore less weight at the start, which would explain why Vettel would qualify so well and disappear into the distance at the start of the race, only to be caught up towards the end when car weights were near level, particularly if there was rain or a safety car.

> I don't doubt cold blowing is to help reliability, which the Renault engine needed.  If you recall, they did get through a fair few engines last year and got close enough to the limit where they were concerned about possibly taking a grid place hit near season's end.

> As Red Bull used a different blown system to the other teams (cold vs hot), it was always going to be difficult to create a fair and level playing field between the teams.  However, count on seeing other teams go from hot to cold blowing at the next race, as they didn't have enough time to change before Silverstone.

> Red Bull knew what the regs were going to be at Silverstone a long time in advance and had no business protesting on the weekend, let alone between Friday and Saturday practices. Charlie Whiting should have sent Red Bull and Christian Horner packing instead of caving in Friday.  Badly handled all around.

> Expect to see much closer races for the rest of the season... unless the blown defuser levels get changed again.  Vettel and Red Bull already have it in the bag, though, so still not going to watch it.

That is all.

Exactly - change the rules by all means, but make the change applicable for the next season (unless it's an unavoidable item  - safety critical or similar).