Scottish Applecross Tour 2011

Rab (bombero) Reid

Hi all,

Thanks to all for the good wishes and kind words - especially to Rab (bombero) and Dean. Caroline & I can't thank you enough for your help yesterday.

Just home from hospital in Fort William tonight and a bit tired & emotional - will post more tomorrow.

Car is destroyed - broke in half after hitting a tree around 40mph. I'm incredibly luck to be here. Not repairable - if Dean posts the pics (I don't mind - might need them for the insurance) you'll see. Might think about what I can salvage but not just now. Will sort out insurance tomorrow.

Still can't believe it's happened. I'll never get another Westy like it.

Matt

ps - Apart from that (and 'the pump') it was a brilliant weekend and I'd love to do it again next year  :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rab (bombero) Reid

• Jumpy07

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• Scottish Westy

Glad your ok Matt.. thats the main thing..

Hopefully see you soon

Craig

just put this incident down to one of lifes experiances - the only thing that matters is that you lived to tell the tale

I'd love to do it again next year  :)

Sounds like you've given yourself a deadline :D

Glad too see you post.....I don't think I want to know the details of "the pump" though.....this is why I avoid tents  :suspect:

Good to see you back home Matt, when I saw the car hit the tree and split in half I honesty thought your time was up yesterday. As you've OK'd me to post the pics, I've added them below. I know you saw the car in the salvage yard today, but I'm sure seeing the aftermath of the scene will reinforce how lucky you were.  I know during the 100 odd mile drive home for me after leaving you at the hospital with Rab, I replayed the crash 200-300 times in my mind and I'm sure its been the same for you. I should point out I only took the pics after I realised it was a head wound you had because i knew there was nothing that could possibly have been damaged in there! :D

You'll see the diesel spill in that last picture and the diesel strectched for about another 10 feet before that point and just crossed the central line. As soon as your offside tyre hit it, you were just a passenger along for the ride.

It's great to have you back with us Matt "the pump"

IMAG0271Medium.jpg

IMAG0272Medium.jpg

IMAG0273Medium.jpg

Words escape me, that's a lucky escape and quite frightening to look at.

Glad to hear the news is good and you're on the mend :t-up:

Matt, very relieved to read that you are home and on the mend.  The pictures are shocking, thank goodness you have lived to tell the tale.  

We enjoyed every minute of the weekend right up to when Wee Dov told me there had been an accident.  

I hope to go to Applecross again next year, but perhaps not driving the van!  Alastair might be getting a few orders for his luggage rack. :p

Best wishes

Angus  (& Euan)

Very scary pics...as someone posted before, it brings home fragile these cars can be. Still, up to that point, I don't think any of you would have changed what type of car you were driving, the one or two pics that I can see (french company's web broswer restricts 99% of them) looks like roads of dreams for a westie!

A work colleague of mine has recently announced that he has prostate cancer and although remaining positive in front of him, he hasn't exactly caught it early. Its had me thinking a lot about my own life style and all the things I do and enjoy, especially the ones 'normal' people consider hazardous - I'm not gonna give up any of them.

Anyway, enough of the sombre! My very best wishes for a speedy recovery Matta  :t-up:  I only hope I can make it to Applecross with you next year  :cool:

Just like to add my best wishes for a speedy full recovery....

Glad to hear that you are basically ok! :t-up:  :t-up:

You can always builder a lighter, faster, stonger Westie, so look on it as an opportunity..... :D  :D

Remarkable pictures and very sobering.

All the best for a speedy recovery Matt.

OMG............what the heck is going on this year..............looking at that derv on the road you had no chance of even doing something defensive......derv on wet roads is like ICE..... got taken off my motorbike a couple of times on bus derv..........

Seeing Dean's photo's brings it all back - not good and made me quite emotional.

However, I hope this doesn't put people off these cars. The one thing I hope it does do is make people think twice before taking risks in them. The pictures are pretty bad but the cockpit area is remarkably intact. The car was superbly built and maintained regardless of cost and I'm sure every little helps should the worst happen.

I want another one without doubt but the cash from the insurance may be a limiting factor.

Again, many thanks for all the good wishes and support.

Matt

Mines not even on the road yet and that picture really does shake me up! Very pleased to see your ok :)