zetec 2.0l blacktop Vs silvertop

tommy holly

Hi is the blacktop the better engine and does it produce more power, and is it more tuneable being the newer engine

Cheers Tommy

Dont think one is better than the other , they`re both as tunable for decent power output . You may find it easier to find a blacktop as there`s more of them about second hand than silvertops now .

Had both and both great engines expecially when you consider a new Blacktop can be had for about £700. The Blacktop has slightly bigger inlet valves thus theoretically it should be a bit more powerful, it also has solid lifters which can be an advantage or a disadvantage. When I fitted cams to my Silvertop it was simply fit cams/new lifters and run engine, took an afternoon, with a Blacktop the lifters need shimming and that can take ages.

The decision is simple today for me, all Silvertops are at least 12 or 13 years old and will probably have been to the moon towing a caravan, a rebuild before use should be seriously considered, will cost a fair few pennies. A new Blacktop is fit and forget, mine, as I said was £700 ish and I sold all the unnessary stuff on e-bay for £200, way cheaper than a rebuild on a Silvertop.

There is one other consideration though, if its a new build and you can find a pre August? 1995 Silvertop it makes registration way simpler, no emmisions or cats to worry about, fit Webers and go. Just happen to have a really good one under the bench for a future project.

Paul

Hi thanks for all the replies i am looking for a seiw and have found one with a silver top just wanted to know the differance, they say it is making  145bhp with twin 45s is that about right and what would i expect to get with cams and vernier pulleys

Cheers Tommy

if its a 2.0ltr zetec it whould be slighty highier, mine is 100% standard on 45 webers and makes more than that

The problem, as said many times before, is that BHP figures vary from rolling road to rolling road. The 145 bhp may be incorrect ?

You can only really use it as a guide IMHO

I would have expected an tuned Zetec with Verniers on 45' to be producing around 165bhp but see how it drives and don't get too caught up in the numbers is my advice.

Don't  get too hung up on the figures though, different rolling roads can give widely differing power figures. If not well set up and calibrated, with environmental adjustments included, even the same RR will give different results on different days!

Far more important to go by how it feels to drive; not just at full bore either, but how it behaves coming off the throttle, at part throttle and so on. That will probably five you a better idea of how well set up it is. It's also why trying as many different cars as you can is so worthwhile. It'll give you something to compare against.

Totally agree, power delivery is so important.

The only car I've ever had rolling roaded was my RS turbo years ago. It was chipped and generally played with, and made 205bhp, which isn't bad for one of those. Power delivery was course, and rubblish compared to something like a Type R for instance, it really didn't seem to like it much either.

I think Zetecs put the power down well, they rev through the roof, and they tend to be able to take it. They're good before you take the bonus of them being really cheap into consideration.

Having recently driven a Fiesta ST, I'm not so hung up on wanting a Duratec for myself. Am I making a bad comparison ??

• 2 weeks later...
The problem, as said many times before, is that BHP figures vary from rolling road to rolling road. The 145 bhp may be incorrect ?

You can only really use it as a guide IMHO

I would have expected an tuned Zetec with Verniers on 45' to be producing around 165bhp but see how it drives and don't get too caught up in the numbers is my advice.

mine has 285 cams, 45 jenveys and made 191bhp at NHM but i don't care what numbers it made cus it goes like stink  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D