sump damage

bhouse

I've managed to damage my sump and need to remove it for a spot of welding.

Two questions:

1 is it possible to remove the sump with the engine and gearbox in situ

2 while the sump's off I could fit some baffles. Is this a good idea and are there any recommended baffle layouts?

Brian

Right. The answer to q1 is 'yes'  :)

Any thoughts on baffles?

B

As I can see, you have got your answer on question 1

I think that baffeling the sump would do the engine good, on hard cornering.

MED who is doing my spare engine at the moment is baffeling the sump for it.

Having got the sump off, I see that there is one baffle already in place, about 10 - 12 cm deep running left to right about half way back. As my engine is also by MED perhaps this is their standard baffle arrangement.

I'll phone them and ask when they open on Tuesday (Monday's a holiday in the UK).

It looks as if the crack is fixable with some delicate welding. After getting it fixed my next project will be a sump guard...

Brian

erictharg
Standard sump has a divider wall that you describe. If you want to do some serious track work you might want to have additional baffling around the oil pickup, as offered by Peter May. I use one, but to be honest if you're not racing, I don't see it as necessary. I never had any problems before racing at trackdays and hill climbs with oil supply. It's insurance. I also added some 2mm skid strips to my sump to help it's inevitable contact with speedbumps etc. Not much use at speed, but helps with controlled "grinding". Ouch. You just know it's going to happen.
erictharg

Just re-read your note re. sump guard. Add some steel to the sump but don't go with a guard. I tried it, but it shields the sump from the cooling air that in turn cools the oil. And it further reduces the ground clearance. Been there; Done that; Not good!

Just accept that you are going to hit things occasionally, and hope it is a low speed!

bhouse

Thanks for the info re baffling. I must admit I've never spotted any pressure variations under hard braking or cornering so I'll leave it be.

Good advice re sump guards and cooling - I hadn't thought of that aspect. 3 x 1cm strips should help...

erictharg
I used about 5 strips running the full length of the sump and curled up around the front face by about an inch. Each strip was 2mm thick by about 3/8" wide. the one on the far right I placed to shield the drain plug boss. Just tack welded them in place, apart from the first inch or so that was seam welded as it takes the brunt. None of this helps if you hit something at speed (as you've discovered) but it's nice to be able to grind slowly over a hump with impunity!
11admire
Thanks for the tip about vear strips on the sump, I think I can have it made by MED before they ship the engine next week or the week after.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. At least I just have to fix a new base on my sump. What's the spec of your car?

Brian

Brain,

Its green with Gold/silver wheels, 1320 cc some new cam, weber, 5 speed ford box leaking oil from the input shaft! I assumed they were all the same.

Rob

I've never seen two the same so far!

@erictharg

Anyway, my sump is now 1 3/4 ounces lighter so my car is probably faster than before. Also I took the opportunity of carrying out a spectroscopic analysis of the colour Lotus sumps were painted in 1957 and have had the exact same shade applied on mine. I feel so much better about my car now.

:D  :laugh:  :D