3 cheers for road safety

Birchy

Remember me guys? :D

Well after my earlier problems which nearly made me sell my lovely little Westfield (thx to those who helped me out there btw), ive run into another "obstical"

A speeding fine....

Yes i was driving wrecklessly endangering innocent people and all that.

£60 and 3 points on my licence, the same as my younger brother had.

Caught red handed driving at 33mph in a 30, yes thats right 33!!

My brother however was driving at 74mph in a 40

Best of all i wasnt even driving the Westfield  ???

So now I need one of those special driving lisenses that people get from cornflakes boxes to replace my now ruined licence  :p

Everyone go out and buy one of those nifty little speed trap detectors, it could save your licence and Westfield

Happy driving people!

A bit late for you mate but have just managed to secure a deal for all WSCC members ....

Snooper S5R radar detector - picks up all radar and lasers etc.

RRP £399 - WSCC member price £250! Bargain!

Anyone want one? I have bought one and sooooooo pleased I did cos nearly got caught by a hidden camera!

Cheers

Kevin

I agree, I researched this to death a years or so ago. I used loads of information from the ACPO guidlines when I was 'allegedly' caught doing 62 in a 30. Long story but basically I wasn't and used the information in their guidlines to prove it. End result it got thrown out at the court appearance.

Apparently the police are on dodgy ground with a lot of the prosecutions they get, especially ones from mobile speed traps, on a lot of occasions they don't follow their own rules. So it is worth having a copy, or at least the information it contains since you can't exactly buy it from WHSmiths.

I've since bought a Geodesy GPS locator, it doesn't detect the cameras it just knows where they are. Well worth it if you drive on unfamiliar roads.

One last thing most of the laser detectors aren't always a great deal of use, the radar bit is fine, but by the time they've detected a laser gun it's likely to be pointing at your car and therefore you're already 'allegedly' nicked.

Sorry I've just re-read my last reply and it doesn't come across right, what I should have said is ...

The Snooper is excellent, but like all detectors it's limited as to what it can do about the hand held laser guns, due to the spread of the laser beam from these at best it'll only pick it up as it clocks the car in front of you. The laser beam at 500 metres from the gun is only something like .5 metre wide and they can calculate your speed in 0.3 sec. so you don't get much time to react.

But having said that as the Snooper also detects fixed gatso etc as well as radar I recon it's a good bet. Also at that price it's an absolute bargain.

Please note

1. You are required by law to complete the form that identifies the driver.

2. You are NOT required by that law to put your signature on that form.

3. If the case gets to court with the form unsigned the magistrate MUST treat the form as 'inadmissable' and dismiss the case.

Every single time, until the law is changed, you can avoid the points and the fine.

Incidentally, how many drivers are aware that proposals for a 'draconian clamp down' on road traffic offences include:-

23 in a 20 limit will get you 7 points and a £60 fine.

76 to 85mph on a 70mph motorway will get you 15 points and a £90 fine

20 points will result in an automatic ban.

see here for the consultation document or here if you don't have Acrobat

Unfortunatley i bit the bullet and sent the form and £60 off in the post.....

I figured that if i contested the fine id just end up worse off, just for being cocky enough to to try getting away with it :D

I saw a nice fat several hundred pounds fine looming, not to mention alot more nasty additions to my licence  :angry:

I think we all know what theyre like with people trying to avoid the law, anyone whos tried to get a point across to a police officer will know what im talking about (and thats just "off duty" in the local pub)  :p