Rear Defuser

FHW

Only if you park the car upside down.

As you can see, my diffuser (just like my pecker) doesn't stick out very far. It's discreet, yet brilliant :devil:

Blatman5.jpg

:p  :p  :p

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• Matt Seabrook

• Annie

• tex

Thats still a great looking car. :love:

Thanks Matt. I still :love: it after all these years ;)

Bean, I never  knew you were looking... :p:oops::0:D

Some years ago there was an article in an old Westfield World from a guy in Germany. He built a "diffuser" for his car as there was a tendancy to go light at the rear on the Autoban, it was an adjustable wing under the car. This was iirc tested by the TUV and did in fact create significant down force at the rear and cured the problem he had.

The ones fitted now may work but really without significant time in a wind tunnel the placebo effect is more likly to give a feel than science.

They do look cool tho so no issues with seeing them.

I could understand a defuser making downforce if it could run close enough  to the road. To make downforce from a defuser you have to be able to speed the air up going under the car which then creates a depression under the car which the higher pressure above the car pushes it in to the road. Its quite a complex science though and airflow has to be carefully  managed. Down force is not to be confused with lift though. Like I said earlier my data logs dont show any benefit from fitting one a defuser.

It does, however, also have a full flat floor (dry sump motor)

But the bell housing pokes through it!  :oops:

Oh no it jolly well doesn't! When that nice Mr Eales did the dry sump he carved the bottom off the bellhousing and fitted a smaller flywheel (with a repositioned starter motor).

Grannie Annie.

Ohh nice! :love:

[Blatman5.jpg

Blatters,

It looks like one of your side screens is p****d. The passenger one is level at the top and the drivers one isnt

There appears to be a fat Tigers head in the background as well Blatters, where where you when this was taken?

[Blatman5.jpg

Blatters,

It looks like one of your side screens is p****d. The passenger one is level at the top and the drivers one isnt

no side repeaters as well??? tut tut..  :p

The drivers side screen was slightly open, so it's not p****d...

No side repeaters 'cos it's a pre SVA car. Side repeaters not required. Nor is a fog light, nor reversing light, and visible smoke test at MOT time :p

Picture is copyright Blatman 'cos I took it.

Next...

Annie, that looks fantastic.

Mine also has a flat underfloor and I have had the ally extended so it joins the back of the clam.  I would like a diffuser and more aero bu it is so low I may not go on atrailer.

How is the front spoiler fitted?  Ihave a front and rear one but never been fitted. Could you show me some close ups of that and the running boards?

Thanks

Mike

I would like a diffuser and more aero but it is so low I may not go on atrailer.

How is the front spoiler fitted?  Ihave a front and rear one but never been fitted. Could you show me some close ups of that and the running boards?

Mike,

I don't have a problem with diffuser clearance on trailers since the car is driven to events (with the adjustable strakes raised to give about 3 1/2" clearance).

The nose is a standard Westfield option that has been available from 1987 and is mounted on a tubular frame extension (again, a standard Westfield part). The aero effect of the nose itself is probably a big fat zero (although it is a good location for the indicators and numberplate) but it covers about 18" of flat splitter (again, Westfield fitted) that feeds into the floor.

The car is currently in the garage awaiting a trip to Mr Eales for a pre-season service but I'll take some detail photos of the nose mounting and 'running boards' (these also feed into the diffuser via curved strakes in front of the rear wheels) sometime in the next week or so.

Annie.

I have noticed quite a few cars with rear wings fitted, I think a few are on the SBD website.  Is this something you have looked into.

Is there a full spec on your car any where?  Also how do you get on for noise?  Mine is always marginal at around 100db