Rear Defuser

FHW

Not even close. My diffuser weighs less than a kilo, and that includes all the attached fitting hardware. It's a proper, pre-preg nomex honeycomb Mickmade item ;):cool:

Ah! Does it work though (no offence mhc) or is it just for bling ???  :p  :D

Tubs.

Tubs no problems. :D

Its the other one who's the miserable old git. :down:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• Matt Seabrook

• Annie

• tex

Diffuser

Fibre-glass rear diffuser measuring 105cm wide by 82cm long and 16cm high at the rear.

These are made in gloss black and have a woven matt finish, producing a strong product. These weigh 3.5kg.

Stange that the carbon one should be more than 3.5 times lighter than a GRP one

So, if the plastic diffuser is 3.5kg and is 3.5 times lighter then the carbon one weighs 12.25kg. Hang on, that's heavier.

How do you work out that one is 3.5 times lighter?

Tubs. ???

Yep sorry in a rush and got it the wrong way round the the carbon one is more than 3.5 time lighter than the GRP one according to Blatters. I took off the alloy one I made as it was doing nothing according to my times and data logs. That was about 2.5 kg.

Mine is for bling and to house the underfloor neon.

mind you whilst driving on a dusty road i was pulling a big rooster tail of dust up into the air from the center of it. Chaps behind could see the air/dust swirling and spiraling from it.

Hank .

Thanks for the mail.

Its a long way to  Louisiana (USA). :love:

Just mail me at the google link with what you had in mind.

Regards Mick.

Not even close. My diffuser weighs less than a kilo, and that includes all the attached fitting hardware. It's a proper, pre-preg nomex honeycomb Mickmade item ;):cool:

Tubs.

It doesn't work. None of them will... depending on your interpretation of what  "working" actually means.

Will it generate downforce? Almost certainly not.

Will it reduce drag? Maybe. It covers the big parachute void betwixt cockpit floor and rear body. But there is still air in there coming down the transmission tunnel, trying to escape.

The diffuser may also help to decrease rear end lift. That's not the same as increasing downforce and even if it were, without something at the front to balance it out it's questionable if there is any benefit to be had at all ;)

Will it keep the diff clean? Yep. Much cleaner under there with a diffuser than without :devil:

And of course, it'll give everyone somewhere to rest their beer glasses while you're kicking tyres at the local meet.  :laugh:  :oops:

Only if you park the car upside down.

As you can see, my diffuser doesn't stick out very far. It's discreet, yet brilliant :devil:

Blatman5.jpg

I just got one today. I couldnt care less  wether it works or not or keeps my oily old dif oily or not.

It looks good and its a place to put the spanners while working on the car

17808.jpeg

I've got no hard data at all regarding the aero on my V8 (all Westfield parts including their alloy diffuser) but it 'feels' stable and planted at 90+. It does, however, also have a full flat floor (dry sump motor), 'running boards' between the wheels, and adjustable strakes on the diffuser that get lowered to about 2" ground clearance at events.

Annie.

It does, however, also have a full flat floor (dry sump motor)

But the bell housing pokes through it!  :oops:

Tubs.

It doesn't work. None of them will... depending on your interpretation of what  "working" actually means.

Will it generate downforce? Almost certainly not.

Will it reduce drag? Maybe. It covers the big parachute void betwixt cockpit floor and rear body. But there is still air in there coming down the transmission tunnel, trying to escape.

The diffuser may also help to decrease rear end lift. That's not the same as increasing downforce and even if it were, without something at the front to balance it out it's questionable if there is any benefit to be had at all ;)

Will it keep the diff clean? Yep. Much cleaner under there with a diffuser than without :devil:

Now come on Mr Blatman, come clean and admit you bought for the bling factor. :devil:  :D

Tubs

It does, however, also have a full flat floor (dry sump motor)

But the bell housing pokes through it!  :oops:

Oh no it jolly well doesn't! When that nice Mr Eales did the dry sump he carved the bottom off the bellhousing and fitted a smaller flywheel (with a repositioned starter motor).

Grannie Annie.