1.7 Crosflow inlet manifold & gaskets

PeterB

I have taken previous advice from here and recently aquired a pair of 40's Webers for my 1.7 crossflow. How much should I expect to pay for a shallow manifold (as I hope to get away without cutting further holes in the bonnet) and where is the best place to buy from?

PeterB

PS I live in Staffs. :D

Peter.

I seem to remember that the manifold is the same, it's the depth of ther trumpets and air filters that dictate if you can fit them inside the bonnet. Mine are currently.

The manifold is rrequired to go over the chassis rail from what I can see

Peter,

I've just fitted a second-hand manifold to my 1600 Xflow. It's slightly swan-necked, I assume to raise the carbs over the chassis rail as studbuckle wrote. I think it's about 75mm from face to face. I have been given different advice on whether you can fit the carbs inside the bonnet without cutting holes. I haven't yet got round to trying it myself as I don't have the linkage yet, but my 40's have the small trumpets and will have K&N filters. I'll let you know how I get on.

Mark.

I bought a 2nd hand maifold for about £40 I think. It's a c******m one, but fits fine. And it all fits under the bonnet of my standard bodied car.

manifold1.jpg

manifold2.jpg

carbs.jpg

The c******m one is the one to go for. When i bought mine, I think it was only £55 new from c******ms. You will however need studs, misab washers and rubber mountings. This is also the shortest length X/F manifold that I have seen, but, there is a small benefit by having cooler air into the intakes by exposing them into the outside world. Use 60mm trumpets for good results as opposed to the standard Weber 25mm ones. This improves torque and air speed considerably. Also use 34mm chokes on a 1700 engine running 40's. Larger is a waste of effort.

JL

I have just had my bonnet cut out and have fitted a pair of K&N filters, that will fit out of the side of the bonnet.  The way that the car now drives is loads better becaust its getting lots more cold air (were Pipercross filters fitted inside engine bay, drawing in loads of warm air).....

Lesson,

Put big filters on that stick out of the engine bay...

Thanks

Kieran

I have suitable inlet manifold that I was about to advertise for sale. It is 70mm face to face, and is swan necked to clear the chassis rail. I do not know what make it is, but it does have the following cast on 1 of the inlet tracks : H711F9424AA.

I had a very simmilar manifold with twin 45's fitted to my old crossflow powered westfield, with K&N's thinest filters and it fitted inside the bonnet (it was a wide body though, not sure with narrow body, but should be ok).

If you are interested in the manifold I can email you some images.