1992 Westfield SE - narrow body XE road legal

lewey

Car is now sold.

This is the 2009 Midland Speed Championship class winning car.  The class is road legal over 1700cc.  It could compete in this year’s championship competently now it has list 1b tyres.  I am concentrating on racing my tin top going forward and cannot afford to own two racing cars!

The car is extremely quick at this price.  It doesn’t have anything it doesn’t need.  Has been sensibly developed in my 5 years of ownership.  The engine delivers torque and power over a wide power band and the overall ratio of the transmission makes it perfect for sprinting and trackdays.  I have avoided “upgraditus” with the car in favour of spending money on items that will significantly increase performance or reliability.  As sprints tend to not be on perfect asphalt and it is used on the roads a lot, I have not put nylon bushes in the suspension for example.  The compliance of original rubber bushes actually improves grip on less than perfect surfaces.  The car is very drivable considering the state of tune and I have driven to many events in it on the road.  

The front half of the chassis is new.  The repair was undertaken by Westfield last year.  I had them put in a few modern features and also a custom strengthening brace.  A normal Westfield chassis has only one large diagonal across the engine bay.  Mine has one on both sides since my exhaust exits high out of the bonnet.  Proper Westfield “Polo” radiator mounts were put on.

Engine has been rebuilt over the winter and as a result has new belts, belt tensioners, gaskets, been timed up perfectly and lifters shimmed to perfection.  Engine has been faultless in 5 years of racing it, but it was due a check and rebuild.

It’s not as pretty as many on here and is rough around the edges, but it’s a racing car and is reflected in the price.  I believe you cannot go quicker around a track in any road legal car for less than my asking price.

Engine

Vauxhall XE 2.0 16v “Red Top”.

Dellorto DHLA 45 carbs.

ITG air filter.

MBE dizzy-less “3D” ignition (MBE967i). I will provide a special lead to remap or adjust.settings like rev limit yourself.

Pace twin-scavenge dry sump system.

Oil cooler with remote filter.

Custom exhaust perfectly matched to cam.

QED 450 rally cams (298deg duration 0.445in lift).

Alloy Vernier cam pulleys.

Solid followers.

86.25 Omega race pistons.

Coscast cylinder head (11.5:1 CR).

Fully balanced bottom end (1g).

A fair bit over 200BHP at the wheels and 193 lb/ft torque when last rolling roaded.

Transmission

Quaiffe Clubman type 9 5-speed straight cut gearbox with syncro.

Long first, short 5th, lovely close ratios with the essential long first.

4.125:1 ratio Quaife ATB LSD.

Suspension and wheels

AVO coilovers all round.

Rose jointed top joints allows for camber and caster adjustment.  Has only been recently corner weighted and set up at Raw Engineering.  I have the setup sheet. 535Kg on their scales.

Front ARB (Terry Nightingale).

Superlite “Minilites” with soft Yokohama A048 tyres.

Other

SPA rev counter with digital speedometer.

SPA dual oil pressure/ water temperature gauge.

Change lights in the SPA rev counter and also a large repeated red one for the limit.

Recently new quick steering rack.

Removable momo steering wheel.

Foam-filled racing tank that is also impact resistant in a crash.

Small racing battery in rear.  Is fine to turn over for a couple of minutes even, but is perhaps near the end of its life.

Lightweight “Polo” radiator with silicon hosing

"RAC" roll bar

New road-legal 5" matt black headlamps

Small "Denso" alternator

I will supply a quantity of spares with the car such as new silencer packing, wishbone, rod ends, loads of new bushes, etc.  There is also a white roof that fits, but is pretty crap.  Fine to keep it dry, but you wouldn't want to go too far on the road with it.

MOT until August 28th and tax end of July.

Reduced in price!

Apart from realising we are in a generally deflated market, I am surprised I haven't had more of a response to my adverts.  It's much less than I paid 5 years ago and it's had significant money spent on upgrades since then.

Surely that's a lot of car for the money, taking all the parts into account? Even if someone want's a "pretty" car, it'll cost an awful lot less to make this car "pretty" than it would cost to make a "pretty" car this fast.  Bargain for someone IMHO.

(Hope that comes across the right way Lewis - it's well meant!)

The value of some good Westy's coming up on here recently is very depressing :(

Surely that's a lot of car for the money, taking all the parts into account? Even if someone want's a "pretty" car, it'll cost an awful lot less to make this car "pretty" than it would cost to make a "pretty" car this fast.  Bargain for someone IMHO.

(Hope that comes across the right way Lewis - it's well meant!)

The value of some good Westy's coming up on here recently is very depressing :(

that is what I wanted to say yesterday but could not think of a good way of putting it  :laugh:  :t-up:

I'd buy that. If I hadn't bought an Elise.....Don't suppose you fancy a part ex cash my way?  ???

Thanks for the comments guys.  I feel it's a good deal, so good to hear others do too and I'm not just way off.  As has been mentioned, tidying up or getting a new body is easy and fun in comparison to all of the research, money and testing that goes with making a car go fast.

@twcullen: I like Elises a lot and may have one one day, but not now.  I do not have the parking space for this or another car from 6th June, so it has to be sold I'm afraid.  It is a shame you have just bought, as this thing eats Exige's for breakfast, never-mind Elise's around Oulton Park.

@twcullen: I like Elises a lot and may have one one day, but not now.  I do not have the parking space for this or another car from 6th June, so it has to be sold I'm afraid.  It is a shame you have just bought, as this thing eats Exige's for breakfast, never-mind Elise's around Oulton Park.

b****y shame!  :(

Folks are right in saying a new body would have this looking mint condition with its mechanical side already sorted  ;)  ;)

The only downside is that SE narrow bodywork is no longer available or supported :down:  :down:  :down:

Good Luck with sale ...... sure someone wil snap it up soon  :)

Bodywork is available. Paul Pocklington bought a full set recently

Folks are right in saying a new body would have this looking mint condition with its mechanical side already sorted  ;)  ;)

The only downside is that SE narrow bodywork is no longer available or supported :down:  :down:  :down:

Good Luck with sale ...... sure someone wil snap it up soon  :)

I thought the factory sold SE body work to someone on here recently?

Edited....... TOO SLOW ME

or paint it if needed

in that case get in quick .......... thought moulds had all been used up and scrapped  :D   :D  :D  :D  :D

Availability of new bodywork is one thing, but it really doesn't need it unless it's going to shows IMO.

Having a car that isn't as shiny as your competitors only makes victory sweeter!

• 2 weeks later...

OFFERS NOW ACCEPTED.

Car can be viewed this weekend.  Car can be collected this weekend or next.  It will be sold by the end of the weekend, so get your bid in!  Current highest bid is £5200 from a member on here.

Call Lewis on 07717375519 after 4:30pm

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.