3D Ignition

Mossman

Hello all,

I currently have Weber Alpha ignition (i think! ;) ) on my VX with twin carbs etc. I have been advised to go to 3D ignition and being a duffer, would really appreciate some advice.

1. Which system?

2. How much are we looking at?

3. Who could fit it and set it up in the NE?

Any help would be superb!

Mossman

:D

If you're sure the Webber Alpha systemyou have is not 3D, then you could go for an Emerald, DTA, or Omex system.

The boys at Plays-Kool will be able to set it up for you.

FWIW, both the Emerald and DTA systems have loads of info, and downloadable software available off the 'net, so, in the case of the Emerald system, you don't need to worry about them being in Brixton..........

Can't recommend Emerald highly enough - they are brilliant for product support, for free, by email.

Just don't try and get hold of them on the phone...!!

I have a similar set up on my Toyota 1600 with twin carbs and 3D mapping. It really makes a difference. I use Omex and it's great - downloadable etc. I think they're probably all very similar.

However worth finding out how easy they are to upgrade - eg if you want to go injection at some point (like I now do). Will the existing electronic box do it, or will you need to buy a new one? With Omex for example, I need to buy a new one, BUT they do a trade in on the old ignition only box, so it's not that bad!

Richard Brown

Emerald allows you to update the existing box when you are ready to go to fuel injection.  This is one of the key reasons why I chose their system.

-John

Seattle, USA

Thanks for advice!!

In re. to setting up, I am near Paul at PKM. How long will it take? I presume access to a RR will be needed? I intend to fit a new manifold and TechCraft sliencer so should I do it at the same time as the mapping?

Cheers,

Mossman  :D

Mossman,

if it really is a Weber Alpha Ignition ECU then all you may need is a Throttle Position Sensor to turn on the 3D function which is already in there. By default the ECU uses a 'safe' 2D map until it senses a TPS or MAP input, and then switches into 3D.

Give Webcon technical a call and see what they say - if it's an older one (say greater than 4 years old) then this information may not be correct - but they are always there for advice.

Then go and get it professionally mapped by one of the nice Weber Alpha Agents... a bit cheaper than buying a new ECU, though I must say that the Emerald one has me tempted.