18mm and 1/2 inch taps

zvezdochka

Help, I will need to clean the threads on my suspension in about3 weeks time.

tried the tool shop... v expensive.  Anyone in N cheshire / S Manchester willing to lend?  I will pick up and there's a pint / bottle of wine if you can help?

Z

1/2" taps you can buy anywhere and they are pennys , you're only cleaning the xs powder coating from the thread so it does'nt have to be a £15 snap-on item.The 18mm foxed me for a while until I found a 14mmx18mm sparkplug tap in my box.Again i would'nt use it to cut a fresh thread but its fine for cleaning an existing thread.You can get a sykes -pickavant plug tap from Halfords for £5.99.

:)  :)

Steve

Might be cheaper to just buy a bolt and cut a slot down the length with a hacksaw. Works as well as a tap for removing powder coat. (18mm bolts aren't very common though!;)...

Jim

Just seen the spark plug tap in the Machine Mart catalogue, I presume the 18mm is 1.5 mm pitch?  And it's only about £5 :) .

I didn't bother with the taps. Westfield told me that thay clean them out themselves now.  Having said that one or two threads  had some cack in whick I cleaned out with a wire brush - the type plumbers use for cleaning 22mm copper fittings prior to soldering.  Seemed to work fine for me.

Tomo