Whats required for an 11?

TerryC

Westfield will be able to supply you with a comprehensive list.  But from memory it is something like the following:-

Front uprights complete with hubs & brakes

Steering rack

Radiator

Engine

Gearbox

Propshaft - needs shortening

Rear axle - Modified by Westfield

Instruments

Lower steering column - needs modification by Westfield

Wheels & tyres

Voltage regulator

Starter solonoid

Battery

Plus probably a few other bits I've forgotten.

I hope it is a late 1275 car rather than the early 1500 as the 1275 responds to tuning better (and is cheaper and simpler to do).

Oh, if you have a wire wheel car, check that the half shafts in the axle engage fully with the diff.  The steel axle case is longer by 1" than the wire wheel version so if you swap wire wheel half shafts into a steel wheel axle (as had been done on mine) the half shaft only engages with the diff by ½" and so will fail at that point.

Best of luck with the dismantling and refurbishing.  That's probably the most difficult part as there are a number of odd imperial sized nuts that I didn't have socket for, plus 40 year old grease and rust transmogrifies into something harder than tool steel.

Matt - have you got your engine sorted? Trackday at Snetterton shaping up in April...interested?

'74 Midget - be interested to hear if it's a 1500. If so, you get the honour of working out how to put that engine and box in the Westfield kit!

It's got to be possible, but you may have to get creative on the sump and mountings. Worst case dry sump it...

Thanks for the info, Matt, Eric.

It's defo a 1275, last before it went rubber bumpers :D  

Plan is to take my time and over the course of the year refurbish as best I can. The car is pretty rotten, so the plan is to strip all I need off and get rid of the rest, I'm sure some of the stuff will be wanted by MG'ers if it's ok.

As I say, there is no rush. The opportunity to get the car came up and I had to take it.

I hope you won't mind me asking some daft questions over the next year :p

Terry

TerryC,

Go ahead and ask those questions, we've been there and skinned those knuckles!

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the V5!  As it is 1974 I don't think you will qualify for the free tax or B&W plate though.

erictharg,

Engine nearly back in now, just been a bit too cold in the garage recently!  Mind you it's also cold in the house as the heating packed up :(

When in April is the Trackday (and where) I just might be able to take some time off work.  Oh and what is the noise limit, I keep meaning to test my car as it may be marginal.

Thanks for the info, Matt, Eric.

It's defo a 1275, last before it went rubber bumpers :D  

Plan is to take my time and over the course of the year refurbish as best I can. The car is pretty rotten, so the plan is to strip all I need off and get rid of the rest, I'm sure some of the stuff will be wanted by MG'ers if it's ok.

As I say, there is no rush. The opportunity to get the car came up and I had to take it.

I hope you won't mind me asking some daft questions over the next year :p

Terry

Bet you get some rabid comments from MG folk.....

You know....breaking one these to make one of those....

But good on you, the 11 looks gorgeous.

Cheers Kerry.

Matt, it's a bummer about the B&W plate  or free tax, but to be honest, I hadn't really concidered either.

I take it that if I use all the parts from the midget, I'll qualify for the same reg on the V5, or will it have to be a 'Q' ?

Terry

You won't get the same reg, but one from the same year. They keep your original one - no doubt to sell, if it's any value!

Never had any adverse comments from MG folks -  even they can see an Eleven is better than a Midget. Besides which we only take the Midgets that are past restoration - and there are plenty of those! We're doing them a favour really...

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Simon Westwood - Westfield Sportscars Ltd

Hi Terry,

Its great to see that you are interested in building a Westfield XI.

You will find the guys on here have a wealth on knowledge and also please don't hesitate to contact us here at the factory should you need to.

We have a discount promotion running this month and we are due to produce another batch of 5 kits in February next year.

If you would like to to advantage of the offer then please do not hesitate to contact me on 01384 400077 or simon.westwood@westfield-sportscars.co.uk

Kind Regards

Simon Westwood

Sales & Marketing Manager

Westfield Sports Cars Ltd

The one thing I need for an Eleven is a few sunny days in between the endless rain...

• 5 months later...
pinballking2

Hey guys,

Andy in New York

I have a 1983-84 vintage Westfield XI , Series 1

Need a windshield and interior. And a gas tank.

What do you recommend.

I will try to post pictures or contact me at aorourk04@earthlink.net

If ever in NYC come by , I have 4 Westfields

Series 1 Westfield XI

Pre-Lit Seven serial number 7

Westfield S Eight S-8

Pre Lit Series 1 , serial number 114

Rides for all.

My favorite is a charge through Central Park, where I was recently flagged down by an bloke from Sidney who insisted on a ride.

I bought him lunch...

Cheers

Andy

Norman Verona

Some people are really greedy!

Well I have a 1973 1275 Midget. And it's staying like that.   :p

midget5.jpg