BMW 320D SE with knackered engine

Chasmon

I know of a 320D SE which has ingested something  and hence is going cheap as a non runner... Bids only from within the company.

I've been told a flap came adrift inside the manifold causing damage to the engine and that the turbo might or might not be knackered... (mgiht be able to find out more).

Does anyone know anything about these motors and is it likely that the block is knackered or is it likely that changing turbo and head might be a fairly cheap fix... I know less than nothing about BMW engines :(

Car is otherwise fine and has MOT etc on a 53 plate. Any idea of value without knowing anymore?

Possibly just a muse really, but the mondeo is getting long in the tooth and having to replace the coil pack today has not improved my confidence...

I've been told a flap came adrift inside the manifold causing damage to the engine and that the turbo might or might not be knackered... (mgiht be able to find out more).

Does anyone know anything about these motors and is it likely that the block is knackered or is it likely that changing turbo and head might be a fairly cheap fix... I know less than nothing about BMW engines

I had a similar thing happen on a 2002 330d, a small metal part vibrated loose on a butterfly mechanism on the inlet manifold (later models had a rubber mount to sort this)...

the turbo was fine...

but I ended up having to have the garage fit a 2ndhand engine at a cost of £4.5k  :bangshead:

the tiny part had pinged around the cylinder b*******ing the block and head and I was advised after they removed the head that it couldn't be fixed so the engine was scrap  :down:  :t-up:

Quite a common problem with those diesels............if you have a Beemer, check it has been changed if it is one of the affected ones..........think its about £300 or if it fails a new engine...........

The swirl flaps come loose and screws fall down in to the engine.

I think its only 02-05 engines on the 320D that are affected, after this they changed it to an all plastic assembly.

From what I have read then it is a new engine (I still need to remove mine)

Lots about it here

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=53451

Dependent on spec/milage you can pick these up for £4-5K so if an engine transplant is going to cost £3K then it's only worth £1-2K........

Having said that i'm only guessing at the £3K for a replacement engine ???

£3k seems right - £1500 for a used engine - £1500 for labour and contingency.

But why buy a knackered one and mess about with it when you could buy a working one? Unnecessary risk unless you get it for £500-£800 I'd say. :)

£3k seems right - £1500 for a used engine - £1500 for labour and contingency.

But why buy a knackered one and mess about with it when you could buy a working one? Unnecessary risk unless you get it for £500-£800 I'd say. :)

True. And if it is as much of a common problem as suggested, S/H engines may carry a premium too :(

:arse: looks like I can't buy a decent bimmer for beer money and fix it easily.... ;)  :t-up:

Its got to be worth more in parts especially if replacement engines are so expensive. Ad actually said for a project NOT to sell parts on ebay. If I bought I can't see why they'd care what happened to it.

Cheers guys informative as ever!