First impression on this car?

Old Biker

TWCULLEN,

Strange?  From what I can see the fella has a bit of an edge to him (dosen't neccessarily make him a bad person?) so as long as I/we know that and combined with the earlier sound comments, there is the ability to pick up a decent car at the right price or there abouts.  Hope you ended up with in decent car in the end?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Biker

• James

• 7sRWild

• Mark (smokey mow)

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't look too bad, at all.  Personally I would change the bonnet as the front aperture on the V8 bonnet looks destined to direct dirt, gravel, birds, water, etc straight onto the exposed cam belt and pulleys, but you could use that as a bargaining point.

On the other hand, if the V8 bonnet bulge is a necessity to clear the Zetec cam covers there's something odd going on.   ???

One of the air cleaner nuts has come off. Knock him down £100 for that.  :laugh:

looks a tidy car to me - as said the V8 bonnet shouldnt be needed - but maybe fitted out of cosmetic likes. i dont like spax dampers but thats just me.. tidy car good price and 2.0 should be giving enough grunt

Now its not half past midnight I have more time. ;)

Yep the car looks reasonable BUT it would appear that the webcon ECU is of an older type now if this is true the early Webcon ECU's used chips to change the map and not simply changeing the map itself this can become more of a problem.

What the others have said is true and if its set up correctly you wont need to change it BUT if you choose to make any changes to the engine etc to get the best from these changes you would need to have the ECU re-mapped hence where the problem comes in.

Also the ECU is cappable of doing alot more than just the engine map, such as rad fan on/off,  shift light, telltale etc all of which you would need access to the ECU to change (these fetures depend on the ECU)

other than that yep the car looks reasonable, a bit of mesh behind the V8 intake would sort that problem, as Jeff said I dont like the wheels they look nice and heavy and IMO the trumppets are too short I would put some longer ones on.

The body work is early type so be carefull ordering new pannels to get the correct ones and bare in mind that the ducted nose cone can be a pain as well as a benefit.

I would like to see a catch tank rather than just a cam breather but I am being picky here, the car looks quite reasonable but have a close look and as has been said try to gen an experianced local member to go along with you because you will be sucked into the shinyness of it all.

Good luck

James

Point taken by TWCULLEN.

The missing nut on the air filter body probably spoilt it for me anyway!  

James, I looked at the one you pointed out earlier (his latest offering) but took more of a shine to the sold one (and £2k cheaper!).  

As one of you said earlier 'take your time' when buying and if I'm being honest with myself, realistically I'm about 2 months away from being able to drive because my leg isn't behaving itself.  Mind you, judging by some of the chat you guys are coming out with (ECUs, V8 bonnets etc), I have got a lot to learn!  Taking somebody experienced to look at a car or buying one from a member with decent provenance makes sence.  

Rest assured I do appreciate the time and effort you take with the answers, it is all educational.

I didnt realise that Juansolo's car was for sale. If it is, then its worth very serious consideration as it is very well specced for the money and in my opinion way better than the one you linked to

Linky this one has Emerald ECU MUCH MCH much better not that im biased of course :blush:

But seriosly Emerald are one of the best on the market and there back up service is second to none TOP company which I hold alot of respect for.

Linky this one has Emerald ECU MUCH MCH much better not that im biased of course :blush:

But seriosly Emerald are one of the best on the market and there back up service is second to none TOP company which I hold alot of respect for.

Edited to say this is a nice spec car and the figures are spot on for what you would expect. Some may say avoid a live axel car in favour of a independant Ignore this unless YOU want an independant.

Both have advantages and draw backs, I find that most anti live axelers havent driven a well setup live axel car, and regardless of rear axel if  a car hasnt been setup correctly it will handle like a bag of wet s**t. ;) so dont let that put you off.

All of my cars have been Live axel and I love them, they are nice and simple.

OPS :blush:  :blush: that went wrong oh well you get the idea.

James, how can you tell if the Alpha fitted to this car is early or not? What are the electonic bits on the scuttle?

However as a wider point to all neigh sayers on alpha units in general, Please do not forget that they are very very very reliable. I would always recomend them over other ECU's to those that do not want to touch the ECU, for this very reason coupled with the fact that it does what you want it to.

My point here is that the Alpha should not be seen as negative because of one element, when in all other elements it is good/better than other ECU's. It can be tuned to take into account bespoke engines, so does what all other ECU's claim with simply outstanding reliability and product support. Even within the Kit car community the number of people that want to fiddle with an ecu is low compared to all ownes, so perhaps we should remember the +ve points as well when offering balanced advice to new owners.

Nothing against the other manufactures, but i really do not like to see the alpha talked down as it is missleading and not a poor or limited product.

The V8 bonnet is here cosmetic and to many all the better for it, entirely personal.

Don't ignor the posted comments from the others, but they are perhaps not addressing the issue, You should never run an engine with the cam wheels and belts exposed period. They may look "sexy", but they will eventually collect a stone regardles of the bonnet fitted and may well not live to tell the tale. OE makers spent a fortune designing the protective gaurds for a very good reason, so fit them. The bonnet opening is only a risk if you do not fit run with the gaurds in place.

Think of it like this, it is a bit like looking at a woman in underwear only, fine at the right time/place, but if all women walked around all the time like that it would end in tears.......so will your engine. Ok not the strongest metaphor but you are unlikely to forget it.

Just to add my opinion, car looks very tidy and very well priced :t-up:

Think it's simply a case of the seller trying to talk the car up with his comments regading the gearbox, nose etc. Not trying to mislead imho, just bigging the car up.

Well worth a look/drive, looks like a really nice car.