Fitting Harnesses

Gav Stokes

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to fit 4 Point Willans harnesses to my Yr 2000 Westy.

I have the rear back box with the recess for the seatbelt mounts whichy i believe will be ok for the centre fittings for the harnesses but where do the 2 outside straps bolt to?

Do you have to cutout the boot? I have the westfield sports seats so are these harnesses suitable or should i stick to seatbelts?

The other points on the harness will mount where the seatbelts go - i'm just nervous about attacking my bootwith a saw & file

Regards

Gavin :t-up:

Gavin

The 4 point Willams harnesses are fine with the Sport seats. The 2 shoulder mountings fit through eye bolts which screw into the treaded holes on the chassis just behind the seats. These will be hidden by your boot box at present. You will probably nead to remove your roll bar to get the boot box off. Once this is off the two aformentioned threads can be seen. If the car has to pass SVA you will need to use the Mount that is currently being used by your seat belt and you wil need a spacer. (Available from westfield) to bring the other mounting point to the same  height. If you are not going through SVA srew the Eye bolts directly into the 2 threaded holes without spacers. This gives you a tighter shoulder strap. You will need to cut round holes into your boot box to fit these. (use a drill and round file to make the holes). Ensure that the eye bolts are facing with the eye across the back of the car (as if you could put a pole straight through them).

Good luck

Stuart

Any chance of a photo or two please? I'm going to be performing the same surgery myself in a couple of weeks' time, my new toy just has ordinary seat belts at the moment.

Ta

Andy.

I can confirm all that Stuart C has said although you should not have to remove the roll bar, to get the boot box out.Here is a picture of what it looks like installed. This is the right hand eye of the passenger harness as seen from the rear. The standard inertia reel mounting for the passenger is seen on the right of the eye. You will need a small spacer (10mm) to stop the eye from touching the glass fibre of the boot box. Do this up tightly. The second picture is with the boot box removed showing the mounting welded to the chassis:-

harness_eye_bolt.jpg

harness_eye_mount.jpg

While you are fitting harnesses (for safety reasons obviously) maybe you should look at fitting an RAC roll bar. If that is the case you will do away with your boot box anyway due to the rear struts. Unless you are excellent with a jig saw and cutting precise holes and dont mind the fact that the rear struts run right down the edge of the boot box. Ill shut up now im boring you. :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:

Stuart C

Ensure that the eye bolts are facing with the eye across the back of the car (as if you could put a pole straight through them).

Just to reiterate, the eye bolts should line up with the longitudinal line of the chassis. If they dont tighten up in this position, fit shims underneath the eye bolts to ensure that they do. In the picture, Steppenwolfs example isnt quite right (sorry chap). In a severe accident (God forbid it isnt gonna happen, but that is what the harnesses are for) the impact loading on the eye could cause it to snap. Not good!  :arse: The instructions that are supplied with the harnesses give further diagrams on what we mean.

As Stu99 has identified, my photograph shows the eye bolt in the middle of assembly, not fully tightened and shimmed in final position. It is important that the eye bolt is not only tight but also positioned so that the hook bracket and the eye of the bolt are in perfect alignment when the belt is fitted to the wearer. Failure to use suitable shims to get this alignment correct or failure to tighten adequately will severely reduce the eye bolt strength.