Changing Steering Rack

Robertio

My steering rack is needing replaced, so before I set about getting a replacement can anyone provide a simple step by step guide of what has to be done to change one?

Thanks

:durr:

Robertio

Pretty easily done.

Where the steering rack attaches to the uprights, disconnect the ball joints. (you might need a ball joint splitter, available from Halfords)

Where the steering column attaches to the rack, loosen and remove the 1/2 inch bolt from the universal joint.

All thats left to remove are the 4 1/2 bolts that fix the rack to the mounts on the chassis.

Job done.

To replace is, as they say, the complete reverse of the strip down. A good idear is to smear the rubber mounts with Fairy liquid as this helps getting the rack back into position. Remember that once the new rack is in position, you will need to have your tracking set up again, to save undue wear on the tyres.

Cheers Terry, I assumed it would be straight forward, just wanted to check rather than end up in one of theose 'why the %$@$ is this not coming off moments ;)

The tyres on it are dead (front right is very dubious, anti-clockwise tracks are not ideal for balanced tyre wear :D ), but I'm waiting until I get the steering rack sorted first then get the new tyres and tracking done at the same time.

TerryC is dead right but make sure the track rod ends are at equal length on the rack.  Don't be tempted to adjust the tracking by altering one track rod only.

Good luck

Bob