Servicing details for 2.0 VX engine

AndyC_772

A few questions about the Vauxhall-engined Westy I'm picking up next Sunday - I don't suppose there's any sort of owner's manual, so:

- what fuel to use? Any point in using super unleaded? The engine's unmodified as far as I know, has a yellow cam cover (maybe just to match the car, or does the colour actually mean something?), and is running twin 45s.

- what grade of oil?

- Is there an example servicing schedule I should stick to? How often should I change oil/filters/sparkplugs/belts etc?

- any other routine maintenence required?

All advice greatly appreciated  :D

Andy.

Andy, use a branded synthetic oil,Everyone has their own preference.

Change it every 3K or yearly.

SUL will allow a little more ignition advance if youre on carbs.

I prefer Bosch super 4 point plugs in this engine.

If no documentation then change the cam belt ASAP.

One point to bear in mind, VX had a real problem a few years ago with the cam belt idler pulleys they fitted to the XE and other engine. They were known to disintegrate and can virtually destroy the engine. I had a '93 XE engined Cav at the time and this had the suspect items in it. They didnt exactly publicise this by a recall, (there were rumblings because they didnt), but they did replace the offending items free of charge at the cam belt replacement service. Worth checking out. Unfortunately I dont have the part nos of the dodgy bits, but local VX agent will provide.

Brian. M.

Andy, a standard XE engine will run quite happily on ordinary unleaded but it may be wise to ask the old owner what fuel he used in it. This is because unless the engine has a knock sensor fitted (basically the engines way of knowing wether good quality or cheap **** fuel is being used) if the engine has been tuned to run on super unleaded and you use "normal' damage  could result.

Yellow cam cover is to match the car.

As far as oil goes, do a search as there has recently been a thread on this topic. It is very much a personal thing though, I have always ran mine on a good quality 10w40 semi synthetic and change the oil regularly. The expensive fully synthetic oils really come into their own with high states of tune.

The servicing schedules depend on milage and type of usage. For example, if the car is going to be used regularly on track days, sprints etc, the oil and filter will need changing A LOT more frequently than blatting around the countryside. A similar situation exists for the cambelt. I will stick my neck out and say 6 to 10k for oil and filter and approx 20 to 25k for cambelt. Plugs should last 12 to 18k.

Other maintainance? Same as any car really. The harder you drive your motor, the more attention to brakes etc will be needed. I am sure others out there in westfieldland will have plenty of tips and recommendations, at least with a Westie its nice'n'simple!

Enjoy.   :t-up:  :p  :cool:

Stu.

If no documentation then change the cam belt ASAP.

One point to bear in mind, VX had a real problem a few years ago with the cam belt idler pulleys they fitted to the XE and other engine.

Especially as most VX installations dont run covers and are exposed to the elements a bit more. P.s. I replaced them on mine, genuine Vauxhall, and the prices for them are horrendous. Try SBD, may have cheaper and/or better quality idlers. Either way, still cheaper than an engine....

All advice greatly appreciated  :D

Make sure you take it out as much as you can and if your going to keep it off the road for work make sure it is when the weather is ****e.

Good luck.

Westy.

Hehe... thanks for the tip. Mind you, given that I have no garage, I'd rather be driving it when it's raining than working on it :D

I still remember the day I found myself changing the thermostat on my old Rover during a blizzard - that was the day I swore I'd never do my own servicing and maintenance ever again. Oh well...  :p

Andy.